Subsequent 37 patches switching to "edited" on display immediately on selection

Everything Sub.
redlester

Subsequent 37 patches switching to "edited" on display immediately on selection

Post by redlester » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:01 pm

As described in the title. Whenever I switch to a hardware preset on my Subsequent 37 the asterisks immediately appear in the display indicating that the patch has been edited, when I know it has not. I have reset all my Global settings to factory default and still this happens.

Is this a known issue or a fault? Do I need to be concerned about it? Is anyone else experiencing this?

till

Re: Subsequent 37 patches switching to "edited" on display immediately on selection

Post by till » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:22 am

No MIDI or USB connected?
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

stiiiiiiive

Re: Subsequent 37 patches switching to "edited" on display immediately on selection

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:30 am

In case no MIDI is connected: that reminds me of the Phatty dancing LEDs problem...

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:08 pm

redlester wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:01 pmWhenever I switch to a hardware preset on my Subsequent 37 the asterisks immediately appear in the display indicating that the patch has been edited, when I know it has not.
My guess is that a potentiometer is sending twitchy values.

The easiest way to prove this would be with MIDI Monitor (free Mac app) or whatever free MIDI monitoring app you can find for PC.

If I'm right, you'll see an endless stream of a particular CC# or NRPN.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

redlester

Post by redlester » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:15 am

_DemonDan_ wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:08 pm My guess is that a potentiometer is sending twitchy values.

The easiest way to prove this would be with MIDI Monitor (free Mac app) or whatever free MIDI monitoring app you can find for PC.

If I'm right, you'll see an endless stream of a particular CC# or NRPN.
Sorry no response for a while, I haven't been using my S37 at all lately. But powering it on today reminded me about this.

So I installed MIDI monitor (am on a Mac Mini) and you are 100% correct, it was showing an endless stream of Control data mostly for controllers 29, 30 and 31 but the odd one for 28 too. According to the S37 manual these all relate to the amp ADSR controls? The actual data values for each were all at around 48/49/50. I noticed my Attack knob was left at about 10 on the dial from when I last used it, and when I closed it off the CC data stream stopped. I can now change Presets without getting the issue happening. But this has happened before so I have a feeling it's an intermittent thing which will come back.

Is there anything obvious which could be causing this? As long as it doesn't affect the sounds themselves, which it appears not to, am not too concerned.

EDIT: After some experimentation and delving into things, I think the issue was being caused by something related to the DAW/Moog software editor, which is the way I normally use the synth. The CC 48/49/50 behaviour above was happening after opening a Template I have set up in Logic with an External Instrument plugin for the S37 and the Editor software as an effect. I noticed the editor was set to a different MIDI channel than the synth itself is set to. After correcting this am not getting the same problem, for the time being.