Sub 37 USB Connectivity Issues/Windows 10

Everything Sub.
nrockwater

Sub 37 USB Connectivity Issues/Windows 10

Post by nrockwater » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi there,

I'm having issues with my sub37 usb connectivity. Every time i turn it on, it doesn't seem to connect correctly to my pc. Ableton doesn't recognize the sub37 when its connected. If i try to power cycle the synth or unplug/plug the usb back in the computer doesn't recognize i even unplugged it and still ableton can't pick it up. I then try to reboot my computer but for some reason this problematic connection prevents my computer from rebooting and i then have to hard reset my pc (which is frustrating and possibly damaging my pc). When the computer turns back on you can finally hear the device disconnect, and then i have to try this all over again.

This issue happens 50% of the time every time i try to connect the sub37 to my pc with ableton. I've even tried going into device manager to uninstall the sub37 usb connection, and it doesn't uninstall. Just kinda stays in limbo.

Please help.

Montfrooij

Re: Sub 37 USB Connectivity Issues/Windows 10

Post by Montfrooij » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:59 am

Did you install the USB drivers from the Moog site?

nrockwater

Post by nrockwater » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:42 pm

Montfrooij wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:59 am Did you install the USB drivers from the Moog site?
Hi Montfrooij,

I did install the driver (Moog Sub 37 USB MIDI Driver v4.35.0) and I still had the same issue. I didn't even use this driver prior to having this problem. Everything seemed to work fine for the most part only until recently.

Montfrooij

Post by Montfrooij » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 am

Ok, strange.
Mine did not work ok without it.
But after that I never had issues with connecting.

KO0

Post by KO0 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi Nrockwater,

I guess I have the same problem with my Sub 37 and Windows 10. Sub 37 is connected via USB (direct or with a hub, doesn' t matter) and maybe 50 % of the time Sub 37 is not regocnized, even when all the other synths are (4-5). When this not-connecting-Sub37 happens, ALL the new USB connections are dead. No new flash drives, no new synths, nothing is regocnized anymore. Only those devices already connected are working kinda fine. Nothing helps but rebooting my computer. All my USB drivers (Sub 37 v.4.35 with many reinstalls) and Win10 is updated to the max. This has been my problem for at least 6 months. Contacted my motherboard manufacturer (Asus) with no help.

New Sub37 Win10 drivers, please? Or can I use some other Moog Win10 driver in any case?
DAW: Studio One 5.1
Synth: Moog Sub 37
Audio interface: RME Babyface Pro

Montfrooij

Post by Montfrooij » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:23 am

I'm afraid this is a combination of what is happening on your PC and how Moog uses midi over USB.
It will be impossible to troubleshoot without deep diving into the registers etc. to see where it fails.
I had to dive into this once because my USB controller was not working. I never want to go down that rabbit hole again.
I ended up re installing Windows to get it working and had to install every program again. Checking the midi connection every time, but never found the cause.

Too bad Windows made such a complicated layered system when designing this part (actually failing to design it, they just added bits and pieces and fixed errors instead of making a dedicated midi thread) and Moog failed to deliver something stable for everyone (I don't blame them, midi clearly was not top of mind when Windows was made).

I have to say my Windows PC is very stable with the connection to both my Moogs, but master clocks are very hard to sync in Windows (for example).

Kewk

Post by Kewk » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:22 am

The issues you face are mostly due to Ableton and potentially other devices on your computer. Ableton needs direct and absolute access to that port. If anything else grabs the port then Ableton cannot grab it. The best way to go about it is to make sure no web browsers or any devices are open. Launch Ableton and it should be able to make the connection.

Something that can elevate all your issues, tho, is to get a midi router such as the iConnectivity hardware. IDK about every piece so IDK which will work and which will not. I use the mioXL and this allows me to make a connection to all my devices, before anything else. Then, I can route it to Ableton and have 100% success rate. Not only that, you can also split the signal and then route it to Ableton and to the Librarian without issue.

I used to have all the same issues as you but worse because I wanted to get the librarian working with it as well. Now I have no issues what so ever.

KO0

Post by KO0 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:52 am

Quick update to my Sub37/Win10 USB connectivity problems: I uninstalled the latest Sub37 MIDI driver and went one step older driver version. Now everything is normal, no connectivity issues at all when powering up external synths including Sub37. On the other hand, Sub37 editor does not work with older driver version. New driver maybe, Moogmusic...?

Kewk

Post by Kewk » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:48 pm

KO0 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:52 am Quick update to my Sub37/Win10 USB connectivity problems: I uninstalled the latest Sub37 MIDI driver and went one step older driver version. Now everything is normal, no connectivity issues at all when powering up external synths including Sub37. On the other hand, Sub37 editor does not work with older driver version. New driver maybe, Moogmusic...?
It's more likely that you experienced a coincidental effects that unrelated to what you experienced and the issue. Did you read my last reply?

KO0

Post by KO0 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:07 pm

Kewk wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:48 pm
KO0 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:52 am Quick update to my Sub37/Win10 USB connectivity problems: I uninstalled the latest Sub37 MIDI driver and went one step older driver version. Now everything is normal, no connectivity issues at all when powering up external synths including Sub37. On the other hand, Sub37 editor does not work with older driver version. New driver maybe, Moogmusic...?
It's more likely that you experienced a coincidental effects that unrelated to what you experienced and the issue. Did you read my last reply?
iConnectivity stuff sounds exiting, I did not know about these products. But I don't quite get your point, unfortunately. Anyway, the older driver has now been at use for many months, without a single connection problem. The latest driver did have too many connection problems, almost every time I switched synths on. On the other hand, I can't use Sub 37 editor anymore, due to a older driver. Well, you win some, you lose some. I still wish Moog would consider a updated USB driver for Sub 37. Or maybe one day I'll try the latest one again.