Doepfer Dark Time working with an SUB 25 ?

Everything Sub.
mowizo

Doepfer Dark Time working with an SUB 25 ?

Post by mowizo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Hello to the moog community :) Just wanna ask straight , is it possible via. midi from the -Dark Time- sending notes to the SUB 25, to play only with the upper part from the sub 25 ( Filter etc.) ?

here is the manuel of the http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Time_e.htm

and they write:"
Dark Time cannot be used to control synthesizers which use the Hz/V standard for the pitch CV (unless the quantization of the Dark Time is not used). Only for the Korg MS-10 and MS-20 there is a solution to use 1V/Oct control voltage. A corresponding note can be found on our FAQ page:"

what does it mean =?

Thanks a lot

stiiiiiiive

Re: Doepfer Dark Time working with an SUB 25 ?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:29 am

Hi Mowizo, and welcome to the forum :)

This paragraph in the Dark Time manual is related to Control Voltage, not to MIDI.
As the DT is sending notes messages only, you are free to do whatever you want with the SS25 meanwhile!

To go further about this CV stuff:

There are several standards as to control voltage for pitches, amongst which are V/oct and Hz/V. I had started to explain but I rather quote this page from learningmodular.com:
learningmodular.com wrote:Most voltage controlled synthesizers follow a system where an increase or decrease of 1 volt corresponded to change in pitch of one octave. For example, if 1 volt corresponded to middle C (C3), playing one octave lower would require a control of 0v, and playing one octave higher would require 2v. This requires not-straightforward exponential voltage convertors, which can be inaccurate or drift with changes in temperature.

Therefore, in the earlier days some manufacturers (such as Korg and Yamaha) followed an alterative standard where a change of 1 volt corresponded to set number of cycles per second – for example, 1 volt may correspond to middle C (~261.63 Hz); one octave lower would require 0.5v, and one octave higher would require 2v. This system is arguably cheaper and more stable (which is why it is reappearing inside some self-contained analog synths), if not as straightforward when it comes to voltage control in a freely patchable modular system. It is possible to buy conversion boxes that translate between the two.

mowizo

Post by mowizo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:39 am

stiiiiiiive wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:29 am
This paragraph in the Dark Time manual is related to Control Voltage, not to MIDI.
As the DT is sending notes messages only, you are free to do whatever you want with the SS25 meanwhile!
Thanks for the fast answer, is it also possible to send from the moog midi notes (pushing some keys) and save them on the Dark Time and play them again without pushing the keys of the moog and work only with the filter etc. in the upper part of the moog? is my understanding right that the sound is only coming from the moog?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:38 am

mowizo wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:39 amis it also possible to send from the moog midi notes (pushing some keys) and save them on the Dark Time
That would surprise me but the Doepfer manual will tell you better than me.
mowizo wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:39 amis my understanding right that the sound is only coming from the moog?
Totally right: no sound signal is involved between the sequencer and the synth. A sequencer only sends information about what pitch the synth should tune its oscillators to and when the synth should open the envelopes to let the signal out.

mowizo

Post by mowizo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Thanks stiiiiiiive for the helpful information ! you tried this setup also out ? what do you think ?
it should go in this direction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrcmEaetliw
and here but he is using 2 moog phatties with the dark time.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-LfXeO0ZcM

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:42 pm

mowizo wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:43 pm Thanks stiiiiiiive for the helpful information ! you tried this setup also out ? what do you think ?
Nope, I don't have any SS25 nor Dark Time :)
Just giving general information so that you can try it out yourself and have fun!

I've just had an eye to the vids: yes, you can do that.