Lower octave note triggers when using the octave switch for the oscjllators

Everything Sub.
Unsonore

Lower octave note triggers when using the octave switch for the oscjllators

Post by Unsonore » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Hi,

I never noticed that but now I am working with a very high pitch patch and the effect is very noticeable:
- Play a long note.
- While the note is playing switch the octave of one of the oscillator, be kind of slow with the switch
- When the switch is between two positions, the oscillator outputs the lower octave. You can even pause the switch in between two positions and hear the lower octave as long as you stay there.

My question is, is it like this for you people? Has it always been like this? It never disturbed me but on the etheral patch, when I want to switch octaves mid-note, it's really noticeable.

Also, it doesn't happen if I switch octave using the editor.

thanks for letting me know if you experience the same!

Kind regards,
Amaury

Unsonore

Re: Lower octave note triggers when using the octave switch for the oscjllators

Post by Unsonore » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:28 pm

Anybody cares for giving it a try? turn slowly the octave switch of an oscillator. Do you hear the lawest octave when the switch is in between 2 positons? Thanks!

till

Post by till » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:20 pm

It is not a fault. It is happening, because it is a mechanic switch. A multi stop switch like this rotary switch is mechanically unable to disconnect one thing and connecting another within the very same position. So there is a not defined value in between. Even the rock solid Minimoog and Minimoog Reissue VCO octave switches do have a very short moment like this. And many, many other synth I had or just tried got such effects on their multi stop switches.
Using an encoder or momentary buttons to switch the octaves would not show this behavior.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Unsonore

Post by Unsonore » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks Till for confirnming that. I was assuming something of the kind and your explanation makes it very clear.

It is understandable behaviour and just a fact of life. It actually never really disturbed me until I played that very high pitch sound and wanted to switch octaves mid-note.

There are other ways though, like switching via modulation or MIDI CC which shouldn't create this undefined state.

Thanks again!

Montfrooij

Post by Montfrooij » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:02 am

I have noticed this too.
It is indeed 'unwanted' but not a big issue for me.
The only moment I did really not like it was when I wanted to modulate the octave with a square lfo.
Otherwise I don't change that while playing.