Sub/Subsequent 37 DAW tempo Sync Cheat Sheet

Everything Sub.
jonspace

Sub/Subsequent 37 DAW tempo Sync Cheat Sheet

Post by jonspace » Thu May 07, 2020 4:56 pm

Is there a cheat sheet or one-pager that helps guide how to sync the Sub 37's to a DAW? It seems like it only works for me 1 of out 10 times I try it. Whereas my other synths (Dave Smith/Sequential, Behringer, Roland, Polyend, Korg) just work when you tell it to receive an external MIDI clock. The manual isn't very clear, each DAW has its naunces, Moog support ignores requests for help with sync issues, and if you search on Google, you wind up going through forum posts with people not arriving at solutions.

Having a one page reference for each DAW would help alleviate this headache or, of course, having actual BPM readout on the instrument so you can later move the recording accordingly.

RobustAmerican

Re: Sub/Subsequent 37 DAW tempo Sync Cheat Sheet

Post by RobustAmerican » Fri May 08, 2020 2:14 am

I haven't seen a cheat sheet or anything like that. Here's what works for me...

1. Midi Clock is sent over 5 pin midi cables from Nuendo via an RME Raydat.
2. The Raydat buffers are set to their lowest setting to ensure latency is at a minimum.
3. USB is used only for communication with the editor and is connected directly to the computer. (no hub)
4. The 37's USB midi ports that automatically show up in Nuendo are disabled in Nuendo's midi port setup page.
5. The 37's "Phase Reset" setting for the arpeggiator is turned off. (With this turned on I do have issues)
6. The 37's "Echo Din In" and "Echo USB In" are both turned off.
7. Make sure the 37's swing setting is set to zero (8192) unless you don't need clock sync. (Midi clock sync with swing turned on has always had issues)

When recording final midi parts as audio, I often need to add a bar or 2 of space before the 37 is triggered by the midi notes. This ensures sync will be locked at the very first note. This is normal imho as several of my other synths also need a bar or 2 of clock before locking into sync. (OB-6, Rev2)

This is just what works for me...Good luck jonspace!

Montfrooij

Post by Montfrooij » Fri May 22, 2020 9:01 am

What daw are we talking about.
I got it working for Reason 10.4 on Windows.
It was a bit of fiddling around in Reason, but it does work now.
Always.

Richard deHove

Post by Richard deHove » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:54 pm

The 37 is twitchy when it comes to sync. In fact I find the 37 just doesn't like receiving MIDI commands at all. I tend to get stuck notes and other glitches, but take the MIDI cable out and everything's fine. I've tweaked all the main options without any discernible effect. Meh. Other synths tend to just work immediately without extensive fiddling. The result is I tend not to slave the 37 which is fine since it really excels at human-controlled lead duties.

Montfrooij

Post by Montfrooij » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:50 am

I don't have midi issues with my Subsequent 37.

MoogMC

Post by MoogMC » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:25 pm

I'm using Cubase 9.5. I am doing midi over usb. I have been struggling with this since i got the keyboard but nothing seems to work to sync it to the tempo in Cubase. I am told to press the tap/sync button but the rate just glows green and no audio comes out. Cubase is set up correctly and shows the midi activity when i press a key but no audio. When i hold down the tap/sync i get no audio until i touch the rate knob but it drifts within a few bars so I dont think thats it either. Help!

MoogMC

Post by MoogMC » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:20 pm

It turns out the problem was on the Daw end as it wasnt saving the settings to send to the Moog. All set now.

Richard deHove

Post by Richard deHove » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:15 am

My sync issues went away after I disconnected the USB MIDI. Now I just run clock from a Novation Launchpad and it's smooth.