Subsequent 25 issues

Everything Sub.
TheGuacamoleXplosion

Subsequent 25 issues

Post by TheGuacamoleXplosion » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:47 pm

Posting here, since there’s no dedicated Subsequent 25 forum yet 8)

Always wanted a Moog-ish synth, got a Novation Bass Station 2 some years ago, liked it a lot, still something about the sound of the oscillators (DCOs) was unsatisfying. So I had to get me a Subsequent 25 right when it was released ... got #00027, sounds great :D

Some issues on the current version (firmware 1.02 / editor software 1.00):

1. When used with the editor software, the Fine Tune knob on the synth will stop working correctly. Instead, it will switch between a semitone flat (fully CCW) and a semitone sharp (anything above 08:00), with nothing in between. No way to tune the Synth correctly while connected to the editor. After unplugging the USB cable, you will need to restart the synth to make Fine Tune work correctly again.

2. Switching Legato Glide on/off in the software editor will have no effect. On the synth itself, switching Legato Glide on/off via hidden parameters does work fine.

3. I created a Patch where the Glide knob has no effect at all – neither the one in the software nor the one on the Synth. Not even after disconnecting from USB and restarting the synth. Or after saving the preset, storing it in the Librarian, reloading it into another preset slot of the synth. It's a fairly regular mono lead sound, with repeat on the Amp EG; but even switching Amp EG repeat off won't make Glide accessible.

Hoping this will be fixed in a future firmware/software version soon :)

RobustAmerican

Re: Subsequent 25 issues

Post by RobustAmerican » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:24 pm

Are you using the usb connection for the editor and your midi data? (DAW) If so, that can easily create a midi loop.

TheGuacamoleXplosion

Post by TheGuacamoleXplosion » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:00 am

Nope, everything described above is with just the Subsequent 25 editor software and no DAW running on my laptop.

TheGuacamoleXplosion

Post by TheGuacamoleXplosion » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Made a demo / review video about the Subsequent 25, also showing the no-glide bug mentioned above :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDWp5Va6Hb8

brano

Post by brano » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:52 am

Hello,

Is there any solution to this? I am having exact same problem with fine tune knob when midi is connected . Is the firmware problem or midi loop problem because I do not find any other report of this problem. Also I have noticed in the video that you use cubase DAW. Can this be connected to cubase somehow? I find quite unpleasing to have to restart the synth to get it in right tune or how do you workaround this problem (transpose playing to one semitone above?)

Regards,

wesdonovan

Post by wesdonovan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:09 pm

I also tried disconnecting from USB and restarting the synth but nothing works. Glide is still inaccessible.

dan_default

Post by dan_default » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:59 pm

TheGuacamoleXplosion wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:47 pm
1. When used with the editor software, the Fine Tune knob on the synth will stop working correctly. Instead, it will switch between a semitone flat (fully CCW) and a semitone sharp (anything above 08:00), with nothing in between. No way to tune the Synth correctly while connected to the editor. After unplugging the USB cable, you will need to restart the synth to make Fine Tune work correctly again.
I am having this same problem. It doesn't happen right away, but after I exchange some data between the editor and the Subsequent 25, my Fine Tune knob behaves as described above. I'm using the editor in a DAW (Reaper). I too must restart the Moog in order to fix the issue :(

[edit] I can verify that this happens outside the DAW as well. It started out working fine. I sent a preset to the synth, and retrieved one back to the editor. But then I switched the midi input setting to an external controller (thinking this could give me access to it's arp). That didn't work, but it also triggered the Fine Tune knob issue. Fixed it again by restarting the Moog. I'm on Windows 10, if that info is helpful.

[edit] Update: I was again not using a DAW and just moving some presets back and forth without issue. But then, after I used the editor to switch to duo voice mode, the issue cropped up again.

dan_default

Post by dan_default » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:27 am

With some more testing, it seems that this issue occurs when a CC message is sent to CC 13. (which appears to be VCO 2 Beat).

Again, the only way to 'fix' it is to restart the synth.

Any help?

Filipswn

Post by Filipswn » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:56 am

The Moog Company should sort it out, without fine tune this synth is useless, spent money on this synth and i can even make fine tune:):)

Bendi64

Post by Bendi64 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:10 am

I'm having the same problem on MacOS 11.2.3, firmware 1.0.2, software 1.0.1

Villy_Elephant

Post by Villy_Elephant » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:43 pm

Last night, I tried to use the application Subsequent 25 Librarian to update or upgrade the Firmware. I followed the directions according to the Subsequent 25 version 1.0.2 Firmware Update Process text.
  • Power on your Subsequent 25.
  • Push both PITCH AMT and HARD SYNC, and while holding.
  • Push ACTIVATE PANEL twice.
  • The MIDI LED will flash three times, followed by the LFO RATE blinking rapidly.
  • Load the SysEx Librarian program on macOS.
  • In the Destination drop-down menu, select "Subsequent 25".
  • Load the included .syx in SysEx Librarian, click on Play and the new Firmware transfer to the hardware.
  • Once updated, the Subsequent 25 will restart itself with the new Firmware.
  • Here's the problem, this step does not respond as written in the instructions.
  • The Subsequent 25 doesn't restart on its own; in fact, it just sits there blinking.
  • Eventually, I restart the unit, and then I lose all functions to the Subsequent 25.
  • I need instructions on how to factory reset the Subsequent 25 and update the Firmware and add the Danz CM - Absurdity Pack. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
  • Mac Mini | Apple M1 chip with 8‑core CPU, 8‑core GPU, and 16‑core Neural Engine | 16GB unified memory
    1TB SSD storage | macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 | Gigabit Ethernet.
I appreciate any help you can provide.

-Villy Elephant-

sermstyle

Post by sermstyle » Mon May 03, 2021 1:19 am

Also having this issue. I read reddit someone had a beta firmware that fixes this issue!

lilycollins34

Post by lilycollins34 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:35 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Novation Subsequent 25! It's great to hear that you're enjoying the sound of the synth.

lorde

Post by lorde » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:47 pm

The author's use of evidence and examples effectively supported their arguments and made the article more persuasive.