How to create Snarky Puppy Presets?

Everything Sub.
Malak

How to create Snarky Puppy Presets?

Post by Malak » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:42 am

Hey Moogies :)

I finally bought a Moog Subsequent 37 last week and I am still fascinated by the power of this Moog :shock:

At the moment I am working on some Snarky Puppy presets - maybe does anyone have already some of them and can upload them for me?

Otherwise: I would like to create Presets like these (at ~ 5:30) inclusive Modulation Wheel (at ~ 5:42):
https://youtu.be/MBAJP-3ebDA?t=330

and this one (at ~ 3:50):
https://youtu.be/BoF7ZzMUrgA?t=228

and especially this one (at ~ 4:07):
https://youtu.be/eZBlRkF0-to?t=247

I hope someone can help me :wink:

best regards
Malak

RobustAmerican

Re: How to create Snarky Puppy Presets?

Post by RobustAmerican » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:57 pm

Here's a couple of presets for the Sub 37 that get really close without any modifications. They should sound nearly identical on the Subsequent...

HipHop Trumpet: This one is very close to the sound in your last link (4:07) It's included in our free patches for the Sub 37. This is a bright saw-triangle based lead that’s great for those higher octave, whiny lead parts. The MW is closing the filter down via the sequencer and this gets the tone very close to your example. Aftertouch is adding some smooth vibrato, a tiny bit of filter mod and some vca level mod.

Disco Dark: This one practically nails the sound in your 1st link at (5:30) when playing the lead line from your video example. The part played in our demo is very different however. This sound is a soft legato lead with Osc 2 tuned up 7 semitones. Aftertouch is adding some fast-sih vibrato using LFO 2 while the MW is using LFO 1’s Sawtooth shape set to “4thT” to add some pulsing like effect to the tone.

Good luck...

R.A.P.

Malak

Post by Malak » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:24 am

Thanks for your answer and help! :)

I've downloaded and imported the Hip-Hop Trumpet Preset already. What about the modulation with the mod wheel? What do I have to do to get that modulated sound like in the videos above?

Any ideas?

RobustAmerican

Post by RobustAmerican » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Yea, the modulation/vibrato in that patch is controlled via aftertouch as is. Here's a slight tweak with the modulation via the modwheel.
Attachments
HipHop Trumpet twk.zip
(437 Bytes) Downloaded 119 times

Malak

Post by Malak » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:58 pm

Oh yeah, that comes really close to the Snarky Puppy Moog Sound. Thank you so much!!

Just one more thing...okay, two more ;-)

1) There's something like a click in the moment when I press a key - what do I have to do to "clean" this?

2) What is Shaun Martin (the Moog player) is doing right here (with the Mod Wheel, or sth. else?)?:
https://youtu.be/eZBlRkF0-to?t=358

RobustAmerican

Post by RobustAmerican » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 pm

Hmmm...I definitely don't have a click here in the attack. Perhaps an artifact from loading a Sub 37 patch into the Subsequent? Try turning the sequencer off since this tweaked version of the patch is no longer using the sequencer at all now. Also try increasing the amp envelope attack just a bit. Somewhere around the "10" mark on the panel.

Is your YT link for the second question loading at the proper time? (5:58) Nothing obvious there with the wheels...It simply sounds like he's playing a fast-ish arpeggio and manually closing the filter when the song fades out.

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:54 pm

I love manually closing the filter!

RobustAmerican

Post by RobustAmerican » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:47 pm

hieronymous wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:54 pm I love manually closing the filter!
Hear! Hear!