Moog sub 37 BPM

Everything Sub.
Deanrijke

Moog sub 37 BPM

Post by Deanrijke » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi there,

I have a moog sub37 and I use it live to play Synth bass in a band setting. Now I am required to play arp stuff live but I cannot seem to get my moog in sync with the timing the drummer has on his clicktrack.

Is there a way to get a precise BPM number put into the Sub37? because the Arp or LFO rate knobs give a ''slight'' indication but its such a guess and even if you think you are on the same BPM it might be just SLIGHTLY off and fucks up the song 20 seconds in.

I do not use any other gear on stage, just the Moog itself. how do I do this correctly ?

Thanks!

till

Re: Moog sub 37 BPM

Post by till » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:24 am

Syncing just by quite precise setting of the tempo to another source won't give the needed precision for music. If you just set it off by 0.1%, the tempo would be audible off the beat within a minute or two. This is not a fault of the synth. You need a common source for the beat. Not to parallel sources with individual setting, even if they are on the same BPM value.

You need to convert the click track into MIDI clock data. There a a very few devices available to this.

But I would rather do it another way:
Use some cheap second hand drum machine or keyboard with a rhythm section. And uses its MIDI output to sync your Sub37 to. And use the audio output of the drum machine to give your drummer the click track he needs.

But if you start playing you arpeggio before the drum sets in, there is no need for an external click track. It's only needed when he start first and you add the arpeggio later in the song.

If you use a different mix for monitoring than on the PA, you might start your arpeggio before the drummer start (so he will play along your arpeggio beat), and fade your Sub 37 in to the PA at the desired point later in the song.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Abaolol

Post by Abaolol » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:00 am

Hey Till
Can you name the few devices that can help doing this?
And is there any solution with a light, instead of a click for example?

I have kind of the same issue, and I want to launch some loops in addition. So I was wondering what kind of product I would need. A contrôler linked via midi to the sub ?

Thanks

Richard deHove

Post by Richard deHove » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:19 pm