Subseq 37: Using Velocity to control volume

Everything Sub.
MaartenWL

Subseq 37: Using Velocity to control volume

Post by MaartenWL » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi there!

I'm in the proces of learning to program the subsequent, it's a real joy to play with!

I'm diving into the mod busses and wanted to start with a simple thing to get started. So get ready for a, probably, stupid question.

I want to control the volume of a patch with the velocity of the keyboard, like a piano.

I can make it control the volume of any single oscillator, that's easy. But not what i want. According to the manual (page 51) i should be able to select output volume "OUT VOL" as destination. that sounds like the right destination.

However....

it's missing from the menu.... I just cannot find it.... I mean..... it's not in the right place for sure, and..... I think.... it's not in the list anywhere.
Does this mean I cannot achieve what I want, or is there another way to to this?

thanks! in advance for helping me out!

DrJustice

Re: Subseq 37: Using Velocity to control volume

Post by DrJustice » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:15 am

That's right, OUT VOL isn't in the list (it's a typo in the manual). Instead it's on the front panel, in the MOD sections. In the lower left corner of the MOD sections there's the MOD DEST button, and you can press it until VCA LEVEL is lit. However, that only gives you a negative amount and not with a full range.

So instead, look for the KNOB SHIFT button in the envelope section. It's on the left hand side between the two envelope control rows. When this is selected, the envelope knobs takes on alternate functions, one of them being velocity sensitivity. Turn up the VEL AMT (the SUSTAIN knob in non-shifted mode) for the amplitude envelope, et voila, you have velocity sensitive volume, and you don't have to 'waste' a MOD section on that. There's also DELAY, HOLD and KB TRACK available in the shifted mode. You can read more about those in the manual, page 33.

Note that the MOD DEST set to VCA LEVEL is still useful for things like tremolo, or other, more esoteric, volume modulation.

Happy patching! :)

MaartenWL

Re: Subseq 37: Using Velocity to control volume

Post by MaartenWL » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:55 am

Hi,

That is defenately was I was hoping for: an easy way to achieve this, without offering a mod bus. Thanks for your help!