Moog Sub Phatty..Further LFO sync issues.

Everything Sub.
Diode

Moog Sub Phatty..Further LFO sync issues.

Post by Diode » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi all,

Please could anyone help?

I am still a synth novice, am still trying to work things out for myself, but
am still getting stuck..

I am having problems syncing the Sub Phatty LFO to beat in time to external gear...

I have a Arturia Minibrute as a 'master clock': I sync the Minbrute's LFO up
with the Minibrute's Arpeggiator, no problem.

I then take a MIDI out of the Minibrute and connect it to MIDI in on the Sub
Phatty.I then take a MIDI out of the Sub Phatty and connect it to MIDI in on
Korg Volca Beats...

I then find that the Sub Phatty LFO seems not to be syc'd to the LFO of the
Arturia LFO and Arpeggiator.When I change the tempo of the Arturia LFO and
Arpeggiator, the LFO on the Sub Phatty seems to stay the same beating rate.

What do you think I am doing wrong please?

I make sure the Sub Phatty is set to LFO re- trigger and I make sure the Mid
sync function on the Phatty is on.

The Korg Volca Beats is set to 'Auto' and can only reciee MIDI in.

Do I need to also make changes in the Sub Phatty Editor software for all of the above to work???

Please could you help?

Regards,

Diode.

Diode

Re: Moog Sub Phatty..Further LFO sync issues.

Post by Diode » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:50 am

Morning all,

Please could someone who is a sync expert help me with my recent post? I am still struggling to get the Sub Phatty's LFO to sync/beat in time to external gear.

Regards,

Diode

Diode

Post by Diode » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 am

Hi all,

Update:

I have checked: Both the Arturia and the Sub are sending and recieving MIDI on the same channel, channel 1

The Din and USB on the Sub Editor are set to 'Both'

The Arturia' LFO is set to beat in time with the Arturia arpeggiator, but the LFO on the Sub still does not beat in tie with th Arpeggiator tempo.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

I have also checked: The Sub is set to LFO re- trigger and MIDI sync...I am at a loss.

Please could anyone help?

Regards,

Diode

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:38 am

Hello Diode !

Not an expert but I’ll give a try.

Split tests.

First, Arturia MIDI out to Moog MIDI in and observe the LFO behavior. If the MIDI sync parameter is well parametrized, you should observe that the Rate knob does not make the rate change continuously but through steps. Those steps are divisions of the input tempo. Set the Rate to the minimum and move the knob slowly until it suddenly changes. If it does not change suddenly, then you’re sync parameter must not be right: see p. 29 of manual.

The LFO Gate reset parameter ensures the LFO is restarted at every gate trig. See p.25. That may be useful to check wether the LFO is in sync. Attention: if you are sequencing the Moog and some notes are on the beat and other of beats, the LFO may or may not be in phase with the beat. Meaning it is in sync (same rate or a division of it) but does not starts on the first beat. Sorry if it seems obvious but as you’re struggling, I’m going to the obvious stuff :)

If everything is ok so far, try plugging the Moog MIDI out into the Volca MIDI In.
First thing: does it change the Moog’s behavior? It should not. If so, well I have no idea of what’s happening héhé!
If everything is ok, check whether the Volca tempo is synced to the Moog’s. If not, check the Midi Merge USB or Midi Merge DIN parameter on the Moog. They are useful to copy the MIDI data the Moog receives on the out port, so that it’s transmitted. Plus you should check that the MIDI channel on which the Volca is transmitting (by the way, you may have to do that between the Arturia and the Moog…).

If it still doesn’t work at this point, I’m helpless!

Diode

Post by Diode » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:46 am

Hi Stiiiiiiive,

Thanks for your in depth email and help,much appreciated.

Sorry about the late reply..

I have tried you advice, but have not got as far as connecting the Volca Beats as I am still having issues..

I have followed your instructions, but the LFO beating from The Sub Phatty just does not move, even slowly, gradually.To help me hear the LFO on the Sub, I turned the volume down on the Minibrute so I could hear the Sub's LFO: There was no change in the beating when the arpeggiator Tempo knob on the Minibrute was changed, or when the LFO rate knob on the Minibrute was changed.

I don't think there is a 'bug' in the Sub, MIDI sync is on, LFO gate re set is on..Both Minibrute and Sub are sending and receiving MIDI on channel 1

Both the Minibrute and Sub are set to Low note priority. I play both notes from the Minibrute and Sub on the Minibrute's keyboard as the Minibrute is also acting as a MIDI controller keyboard

I think it must be down to my 'human error'...I am going to double check the editor settings for both the Minibrute and Sub to see if I have not set things up correctly.

What a nightmare, this sort of tech issue gets in the way of being creative.

Thanks for your help once again, I will report back to you should I have any joy.

All the best.

Diode.

Diode

Post by Diode » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:03 am

Hi Stiiiiiiive,

Following on from my reply to you early today, please see below, the 'editor' settings for the Arturia Minibrute and for the Sub Phatty.These settings are how each instrument is 'set up' as I try to get the LFO/Arpeggiator of the Minibrute to beat in time with the LFO of the Sub Phatty.

So..

Arturia Minibrute settings as below:

Audio Gate Threshold: LOW
MIDI TRANSMIT AND REC : Channel 1

LFO re- trigger: ON
Envelope Legato Mode: ON

Keyboard note priority: LOW

Keyboard velocit yresponse: Linear

Keyboard aftertouch response Linear

The Sub Phatty editor settings, as below..

MIDI Input:' MOOG SUB PHATTY'
MIDI Output MOOG SUB PHATTY

Knob behavior: VERTICAL
Echo MID from Host: OFF
MIDI Port Warning ON

MIDI channel in: 1
MIDI channel out : 1
MIDI input: DIN AND USB
MIDI outut DIN AND USB
Merge Din input : OFF
Merge USB input: OFF
MIDI output Filter: OFF
Knob Mode: Relative
Keyboard Priority: Low
Local control: On
Load Preset Volume: Off
Load Preset Keyboard octave: ON
Load Preset Mod Wheel:OFF
14bit CC output:OFF
Start with active Panel: OFF
Pressure scale 32
LFO RE TRIGGER: ON
LFO MIDI SYNC: ON

FIRMWARE2.0.3
VERSION:2.0.0

Regarding the above, does this look ok?

I now have no idea why the LFO on the Sub Phatty seems not to beat in time with the Arturia LFO/Arpeggiator, I can't hear any change at on the Sub's LFO when the Arturia's Arpeggiator's tempo knob changes, or when the Arturia's LFO rate knob changes.

I am at a loss..
Please could you help further?

Sorry for the long message.

Regards,

Diode

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Hey Diode!

Sorry to insist but that is important:
stiiiiiiive wrote:If the MIDI sync parameter is well parametrized, you should observe that the Rate knob does not make the rate change continuously but through steps. Those steps are divisions of the input tempo. Set the Rate to the minimum and move the knob slowly until it suddenly changes. If it does not change suddenly, then you’re sync parameter must not be right: see p. 29 of manual.
I have no further idea, unfortunately... but that could be the only missing step, which I wish to you!! :)

On a sidenote, whenever you'll want the Arturia's tempo to be transmitted to the Volca through the Moog, set either Merge Din input or Merge USB input parameter. It's useful to "repeat" the input MIDI data to the output. Please see manual for details.

Diode

Post by Diode » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:54 am

Hi Stiiiiiiive,

Thanks for your reply, help and advice

Arturia replied to me to advise that it looks as though connecting Arturia Minibrute to Moog Sub Phatty via MIDI will be problematic should I want to sync the Minibrute's LFO/Arpegiator with the LFO of the Sub...

Arturia quote: 'Sorry for the inconvenience but the MiniBrute doesn't send MIDI Clock from it's Arpeggiator to it's MIDI output, so you will have to try the other way around, Connect the MIDI Output of the Moog to the MIDI Input of the MiniBrute and configure it to External Clock and make sure the Moog is sending MIDI clock through its MIDI output.'

The problem is Stiiiiiiive, the Sub Phatty has no INTERNAL arpeggiator or sequencer, so I will not be able to follow Arturia's advic as there is no way of syncing the LFOfrom the Sub as a 'master' clock to the Minibrute.Back to the drawing board for me then.

I can sync Minibrute to Volcabeats via CV gating..Minibrute cv out to Volca gate in..TheV olca only plays if the Mnibrute's arpegiator/LFO plays first, but I can live with that..I.E; Ican't start the Volca first,followed by the Minibrute's arp/LFO..

Thanks for your help, I will keep trying..

Regards,

Diode

Diode

Post by Diode » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:01 am

Hi Stiiiiiiive,

I hope you are well.

Well, more probs, please can you help?

I have a MIDI out from Korg Monologue, set with LFO sync.I then connect to Sub Phatty with LFO sync and MIDI sync.

I then took yer advice and took a MID out from the Sub to MIDI in on the Volca Beat, setting the Subs Merge Din input to both Din and Usb.

Well, for a while the LFO and Moog Sub Phatty were syncing and beating together, it was great.The I added the Volca, this was also in time

Then the Sub Phatty Editor went blank, the error message I got was:'FIRMWARE: INVALIDSYSEX 521.

Please could you please help?

Is it because I have set something up wrong?
Regards,

Lee

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:42 am

Hey Lee.
All good here, thanks :)

Unfortunately, I don’t use any synth editor: I’m helpless. You may want to contact the MoogMusic tech support.

Diode

Post by Diode » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:28 am

Hi Stiiiiiiive,

I hope you are well.

Just thought I would update you:

The Editor probs I was having was down to Windows shutting down the USB posts//I refreshed Windows to sort this issue.

Thanks for you advice regarding LFO sync between Sub Phatty and other devices, I have now had positive results:

I am using Korg Monologue as a 'master clock', I connect his to Sub Phatty via MIDI, I then take a MIDI out to MIDI in on the Volca beats:

Everything is now sync'd up, the LFO from the Phatty and Monologues are beating off each other, all is sybc'd!

Thanks for your help once again.

Regards,

Lee

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:49 am

Happy end then! Glad you sorted it out, have fun :)