Subsequent 37 panel mode bug within editor

Everything Sub.
Quatschmacher

Subsequent 37 panel mode bug within editor

Post by Quatschmacher » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:14 pm

This is a copy of the message I’ve sent Amos and Adam about this:

I’ve just been playing around with the editor and noticed the following oddity:

Engage panel mode on the synth and click on one of the presets in the “hardware presets” window of the PC editor. The correct hardware preset button is illuminated and patch plays as it should but the LCD continues to show “panel active” instead of the preset information.

Now when pressing “preset”, the synth switches to whatever preset was played before panel mode was entered.

Basically it seems as though having panel mode engaged when loading a preset loads the preset into the special panel mode edit buffer.

If one then presses “panel” again, the synth again reflects the knobs’ actual positions, but whatever “non-knob” settings were part of the preset which was loaded from the editor will remain in force.

Is this normal? Should clicking on a preset in the editor not automatically switch the synth back into preset mode?

As a silver lining, the behaviour I have encountered could be a way to quickly change any under-the-hood settings of the panel mode to whatever the user desired. One could simply load a preset which has the desired settings. Also, this would be a way to restore the settings to a default state (as I asked about in my previous mail) - by loading an init patch from the editor while in panel mode.

Would there be any way of both making the synth revert to preset mode when loading a preset via the editor whilst retaining the option to load the preset into the panel mode buffer if so desired?

Could this also be done on the hardware synth? Perhaps holding down the “preset” (or the relevant 1-16 preset button) and “panel” buttons together could write to the panel mode buffer.

Quatschmacher

Re: Subsequent 37 panel mode bug within editor

Post by Quatschmacher » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:41 pm

I’ve made a further discovery related to the panel mode. I’ve found that if panel mode is engaged on the synth and one then holds down the “panel (init)” button, an init patch is loaded into the panel buffer (though the screen still displays “panel active”). In order to return to the actual panel mode, one must press one of the 1-16 buttons or the “preset” button and then afterwards press the “panel” button again. When this has been done, any under-the-hood settings are set back to defaults.

I don’t know if this behaviour is intentional and I don’t recall seeing it listed in the manual (but might’ve missed it). If not, it seems I’ve accidentally discovered how to do what I’d asked about in an earlier email, namely initialising non-knob settings in panel mode.