Pro Tools - Should A Single Instrument Track Work?

Everything Sub.
gazblake

Pro Tools - Should A Single Instrument Track Work?

Post by gazblake » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi,

I've got an instrument track open in Pro Tools with the Moog Editor plug-in on and the Audio input from the Subsequent 37. Works fine. However, when I record midi notes in the track - they are greyed out and therefore no sound when I play back. I can hear them when I record them though.

The workaround for this is have a separate Midi track and copy the notes over. This works, but I refuse to believe this is the only solution and that having a single instrument track only can't do the job.

Note: another thing I've tried is adding a 2nd plug-in - a soft synth to the same instrument track - and this plays back the midi notes - they become active (un-greyed).

Any ideas out there?

Rgds,
Gary

gazblake

Re: Pro Tools - Should A Single Instrument Track Work?

Post by gazblake » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:17 am

Also - a related question about the Editor in Pro Tools...

It looks like you can only have one instance within a Pro Tools session of the Editor. Whereas for 'soft' synths you can have multiple instances if you have multiple instrument tracks. But you can't do the same for the Moog Editor - I presume this is because there is only piece of hardware available.

So, if want to create a song purely using the Sub 37 - kick, hats, bass, lead etc. What's the best way to set up a template in Pro Tools. Is it to have 1 instrument track and then multiple midi tracks (using different midi channels?) and then a 1 to 1 between the midi tracks and audio bounced tracks? This seems quite limiting.

Apologies if this is basic stuff - I'm only used to using soft synths in Pro Tools and am finding it challenging.

Regards and thanks,
Gary