Fail after Sub 37 to Subsequent 37 upgrade!

Everything Sub.
Luigi R.

Fail after Sub 37 to Subsequent 37 upgrade!

Post by Luigi R. » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi everyone! First of all sorry for my bad English...I will work on it.
I will try to explain what happened hoping that someone could help.
Has you can imagine I've just received my upgraded ex-sub 37 and it was a total disaster.
If we want to consider 1. display not in line; 2. different friction of the new board knobs; 3. bank 16 button working bad; 4. filter cutoff knob playing a creepy noise, a secondary issue, the best surprise comes out when I tried to initialize the sound holding the panel/init button. All lights went on, the awry display showed black box instead of the "Init Preset" label, and the synth did not send out any audio signal even turning off everything and starting manually a real initialized sound. Worse than ever when I have tried to listen to the PANEL SOUND. Only with the modulation weel up, it starts to send out weird loud noises and you can fell the impulse of the selected waveform but more like an untunable “click”. With the MOD wheel down you cannot listen to any sound at all. LFOs are both dead excepted when selecting the sawtooth wave form...in this case you can see the LFO RATE light fixed with no other effect.
After reinstalling the 1.2 firmware nothing changed except for the init function that starts to work again.
I am really disappointed to receive this treatment after spending $1600 on my Moog sub 37 (that ironically worked great before the upgrade) and more $400 for this bad work.
Can someone help me please? :shock:
Thank you in advance...

draztik

Re: Fail after Sub 37 to Subsequent 37 upgrade!

Post by draztik » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Where did you have the upgrade done? I had mine done at the Moog factory in Asheville North Carolina. I just got it back today and it works perfectly.

charbot

Post by charbot » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Whoa, that really sucks! Have you tried performing the note calibration routine? Its a long shot, but it may help

Luigi R.

Post by Luigi R. » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:19 pm

I will give it a try...thank you!

Luigi R.

Post by Luigi R. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:44 am

draztik wrote:Where did you have the upgrade done? I had mine done at the Moog factory in Asheville North Carolina. I just got it back today and it works perfectly.
Hi draztik! I have a question for you.
Is your brand new SUBSEQUENT 37 recognized as a SUBSEQUENT 37 by your mac/pc or it is still seen as a SUB 37?
Thanks in advance.

JazzMasta

Post by JazzMasta » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:50 am

Luigi R. wrote: the best surprise comes out when I tried to initialize the sound holding the panel/init button. All lights went on, the awry display showed black box instead of the "Init Preset" label, and the synth did not send out any audio signal even turning off everything and starting manually a real initialized sound. Worse than ever when I have tried to listen to the PANEL SOUND. Only with the modulation weel up, it starts to send out weird loud noises and you can fell the impulse of the selected waveform but more like an untunable “click”. With the MOD wheel down you cannot listen to any sound at all. LFOs are both dead excepted when selecting the sawtooth wave form...in this case you can see the LFO RATE light fixed with no other effect.
After reinstalling the 1.2 firmware nothing changed except for the init function that starts to work again.
I have the same problem after upgrading, INIT preset creates a non working sound (and turns all lights/buttons on) and PANEL will just produce some weird noise and won't respond at all to what the panel is actually set to.

I'll try to install the firmware again and see if does anything.

Sad really, after all the problems I had with the Sub 37 as well.

UPDATE April 23:rd 2018
After reinstalling the factory presets for Subsequent 37 using a sysex Librarian, and reinstalling the firmware 1.2 (I think it's the same for both sub37 and subsequent37), my upgraded Subsequent (previously a Sub 37) now works as expected. Both the INIT and PANEL mode bugs are gone.
Thanks to the Moog support team for swift answers and download links.
Last edited by JazzMasta on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

draztik

Post by draztik » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:22 pm

Luigi R. wrote:
draztik wrote:Where did you have the upgrade done? I had mine done at the Moog factory in Asheville North Carolina. I just got it back today and it works perfectly.
Hi draztik! I have a question for you.
Is your brand new SUBSEQUENT 37 recognized as a SUBSEQUENT 37 by your mac/pc or it is still seen as a SUB 37?
Thanks in advance.
I didn't see your question until now. It still shows up as a Sub 37. I think even the Subsequent 37 showed up as a Sub 37 until the most recent firmware update released a week or two ago. I would assume you could install that firmware on your Sub 37 but don't take my word for it. I know the new Subsequent 37 editor works with my upgraded Sub 37. Moog told me it didn't matter which editor I used, they were both the same just branded with either Sub 37 or Subsequent 37. Hope this answers your question.

JazzMasta

Post by JazzMasta » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:43 am

draztik wrote:I think even the Subsequent 37 showed up as a Sub 37 until the most recent firmware update released a week or two ago.
What version nr is this? I can only find v1.2 on the website, and I still have problems with INIT-patch and PANEL-mode since upgrading to Subsequent.

thanks
Marcus

draztik

Post by draztik » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:52 pm

JazzMasta wrote:
draztik wrote:I think even the Subsequent 37 showed up as a Sub 37 until the most recent firmware update released a week or two ago.
What version nr is this? I can only find v1.2 on the website, and I still have problems with INIT-patch and PANEL-mode since upgrading to Subsequent.

thanks
Marcus
Hello Marcus,

I made a mistake. The firmware I was talking about is the Subsequent 37 CV firmware update. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

JazzMasta

Post by JazzMasta » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:18 am

draztik wrote: Hello Marcus,

I made a mistake. The firmware I was talking about is the Subsequent 37 CV firmware update. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Ok cool I suspected that. My problems were resolved after reinstalling factory patches and firmware 1.2 for Subsequent 37. I suspect my own patches stored for Sub37 messed something up.

aroom

Post by aroom » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:44 am

I just got my sub 37 upgraded back. When pressing the init /panel button, the screen worked fine, but no sounds would come out of the synth. Only presets would work but the second VCO lost tracking in the upper notes.

I did first reinstall the 1.2 firmware. But nothing changes.

A note calibration fixed the second VCO issue.

And a long press on the init / panel button did the trick. It's now working fine.

I had to figured the solution by myself.

I was expecting a better service for an almost 500 $ upgrade (at the official Moog importer) but service is not always up to our expectation today, isn't it.

edit: nope. the init panel option is still buggy. still waiting for an answer from moog about it.