Moog SUB 37 vs SUBSEQUENT 37 / CV, what to buy?

Everything Sub.
Astrus

Moog SUB 37 vs SUBSEQUENT 37 / CV, what to buy?

Post by Astrus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:31 am

Hi all !

I'm new to the forum and I appeal to the courtesy of the connoisseurs to offer tips or suggestions for buying a Moog synth.

I do not know which option to choose between SUB 37 and SUBSEQUENT 37 with or without CV (no matter the color, model or CV) because I have seen here on the forum that users complain about certain problems that SUBSEQUENT 37 / CV it has, patch that are changing or editing on their own, unstable volume etc ... Because all three models are close to financial value in Europe, it does not matter price, but quality, stability / does not pose problems that affect operation. Theoretically, under 37 with a certain age, should be a stable synth, but SUBSEQUENT 37, being an improvement of the SUB 37, should not pose a stability problem, but users complain about SUBSEQUENT 37 problems, as if it were a new synth, rather than an enhancement of an existing model.

The complaints about the SUBSEQUENT 37 / CV problems are only isolated cases, which only have some lots, or are problems with all Moog SUBSEQUENT 37 / CV synthesizers, does anyone know?

Moog SUB 37, has such problems ?

What model do you advise me to choose and what arguments would be for or against a model ???

I want to buy only a new synthesizer from the store with warranty, and not a synth used.
Moog SUB 37 is still available in some stores, but SUBSEQUENT 37 is at the same price, and the SUBSEQUENT CV version costs € 100 extra, insignificantly ...

Thanks in advance for any answer or suggestion that might help!

draztik

Re: Moog SUB 37 vs SUBSEQUENT 37 / CV, what to buy?

Post by draztik » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 pm

I would choose the Subsequent 37 CV if I had to make the choice, for 100 euros more than the Subsequent 37 I think it's worth it. It's also a limited edition model so it should hold it's value over the other two models if you decide to sell it. The addition of CV output makes it more useful in the studio in my opinion. I'm assuming Moog will eventually offer a CV output upgrade for the Subsequent 37 which will likely cost you more than 100 euros if you decided to go with the Subsequent 37. Take into account that the Sub 37 cannot have CV outputs added. Moog does offer a service for owners of the Sub 37 to be upgraded to the full specs of the newer Subsequent 37. Here is a nice video that goes over the sonic differences between the Sub 37 and the Subsequent 37. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS8syO7u0fY

Astrus

Re: Moog SUB 37 vs SUBSEQUENT 37 / CV, what to buy?

Post by Astrus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Thank you very much for your given help !