Subsequent Noob questions - knob value display/duo mode

Everything Sub.
lordradish

Subsequent Noob questions - knob value display/duo mode

Post by lordradish » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Hello, good people. Just got my Subsequent 37, quite the step up from my Minilogue... what an amazing synth!

I'm still learning the ropes, here, I'm not completely new to synthesis, but not an expert, either. Two questions...

Is there an option to display whatever the value is in a knob I'm tweaking? I'm slowly figuring out how to make sounds, but once I go through a few presets, and then go back, I have no ideas what values are on the knobs. Can I turn something on, so, say, if I turn the cutoff knob, it will show me on the screen what the value is?

Second question, regarding DUO mode, I've never used a duophonic synth, before. I made a somewhat simple patch, and I noticed a strange behavior... whenever I take my fingers off of the two notes, I always hear the lower note get triggered again. I've tried all three of tke KB CRTL settings, same problem. I'm convinced I'm simply doing something wrong, as, when I load in any of the factory duo presets, it doesn't do this. The notes just both shut off when take my fingers off, and nothing retriggers. What parameter am I not getting right?

I'm sure I'll have some more, but this is just the first thing that popped up. Thanks in advance.

lordradish

Re: Subsequent Noob questions - knob value display/duo mode

Post by lordradish » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:59 pm

Any help on this?

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:28 am

First off, a preset vs current value display is the most requested feature by far. Lately, every other post seems to request it.

Therefore: MOOG! Are you listening? A How about including this most requested and immensely useful feature in the next (long overdue...) firmware update?

With that out of the way, in duo mode the note you let go off will snap back to the note that is held. I.e. the Sub 37 always play both oscillators in duo mode. If you switch on multi trigger for the envelopes, you'll even get a new trigger when you let go of one of the held notes. These two things make its duo (paraphonic) mode somewhat special, both with a sound of its own and inviting certain playing techniques.

Thus I wonder, if you let go of the lower note before the upper note, will you then hear the upper note instead (even being retriggered)? If so that's normal, as the lower note (or more correctly, the oscillator playing the lower note) snaps up to the upper one. Likewise, if you let go of the upper note before the lower one, the upper oscillator snaps down to the lower one. If you have a bit of release on the amplifier envelope, this effect will be quite apparent and can even be put to good use (ref. playing techniques above). When playing an interval in duo mode, I tend to let go of the upper note first unless forcing it the other way around, so like you, I "naturally" end up with the lower note ringing out on release.

lordradish

Post by lordradish » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:22 am

I think that I need to both refine my technique a little more, plus dial in a few things a bit more precisely to make it optimal. Thanks for the tips!