Subsequent 37 CV odd behavior

Everything Sub.
thisoldmike

Subsequent 37 CV odd behavior

Post by thisoldmike » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:25 pm

Hello all! I recently bought a new Subsequent 37 CV and I've been seeing some strange behavior. The two biggest things I'm seeing is that patches will just change themselves with no user input, and the volume output is inconsistent (volume will drop out in a patch, sometimes it comes back but most times I have to navigate away from the patch then back to it to "reset" it). Both occur only after the synth has been powered up for an hour or so. I am not new to synthesis and have several analog synths as well as a rack full of modular gear, so I'm pretty sure that this is not user error. I have checked the usual suspects and this is not a case where there is an LFO or something that is modulating the output volume, for example.

I first noticed this when I was going through the presets and all of a sudden the preset sounded wildly different with no input from me. I looked at the display and saw the "patch has been edited" indicator, but again, I did not change it myself. This made me curious, so I restarted the synth, selected a patch, and then didn't touch the synth at all. Sure enough, after 4-5 minutes, the patch had magically edited itself. Very strange. At this point I'm pretty certain that something is wrong with it and it needs to be sent back, but I am curious if anyone else has had similar experiences or has any suggestions outside of sending it back. I have already updated the firmware to the latest build and the behavior did not change. Any input would be appreciated.

Quatschmacher

Re: Subsequent 37 CV odd behavior

Post by Quatschmacher » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:06 pm

I had a similar problem on my Minitaur (among a few other issues with the CV input) where the patch had altered itself either whilst I was playing or when I left the room and came back. Again it was without any changes to parameters being made by me.

thisoldmike

Post by thisoldmike » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:39 pm

Appreciate the data point, at least reassures me that I'm not completely losing my mind and imagining things. :)

Anyone else experience this, or any other thoughts? It's been more stable this afternoon, but I've already lost faith in its dependability and I'm leaning towards just sending it in for repair at this point. Frustrating.

jamesmod

Post by jamesmod » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:48 am

Subsequent37 (not CV version)
Same thing with the volume drop, all the way to silence, after 15 minuets to an hour.

I had NO response from Moog. Still nothing now after almost 2 months.
The distributor tech I spoke to on two occasions failed to get back to me.
The retailer then went to bat for me and had the whole thing replaced after I asked them about it.

Since then, on other forums I’ve seen the same thing, and other issues.
Everyone has advised me to sell it.
Basically, there’s a range of Subsequent37 lemons and we are the suckers doing the QC.

My strong advice is to get it replaced or a full refund ASAP, based on my experience having no response from moog or their distributor. Otherwise you may pass the full refund period, if your retailer offers that.
Others have been stuck with returning it for repair at their own expense, in addition to weeks with out the synth they spent $2k+ on.

By the way, I’m not using the replacement and I will be selling it.
Pew.........pew pew..... pew pew pew...!

jamesmod

Post by jamesmod » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:05 am

Quatschmacher wrote:I had a similar problem on my Minitaur (among a few other issues with the CV input) where the patch had altered itself either whilst I was playing or when I left the room and came back. Again it was without any changes to parameters being made by me.
Same here, with the Minitaur, Plus other issues. All firmware and librarian reloaded, but still get the problems.
Unfortunately it was over a month old so I couldn’t get a refund.
Moog response a few days ago (after I disposed of it) said they never heard of the issue, despite threads on this forum about the issue.
Pew.........pew pew..... pew pew pew...!

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:41 am

jamesmod wrote:
Quatschmacher wrote:I had a similar problem on my Minitaur (among a few other issues with the CV input) where the patch had altered itself either whilst I was playing or when I left the room and came back. Again it was without any changes to parameters being made by me.
Same here, with the Minitaur, Plus other issues. All firmware and librarian reloaded, but still get the problems.
Unfortunately it was over a month old so I couldn’t get a refund.
Moog response a few days ago (after I disposed of it) said they never heard of the issue, despite threads on this forum about the issue.
It certainly seems more than just a one-off. What were the other issues? Might be worth posting it in the Minitaur section though. I sent a very detailed account of what was happening. I should send an update with the results from trying the old firmware, etc. I'm still awaiting a response from Moog customer services...

Have you sent it in for warranty repair?

thisoldmike

Post by thisoldmike » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:09 pm

Wow, that's a lot of discouraging experiences, I appreciate the info. I returned it to the vendor and a new one is on the way. Hopefully it'll behave itself. Thanks for the input, folks!