Sub 37 vs subsequent 37

Everything Sub.
Speedpiano

Sub 37 vs subsequent 37

Post by Speedpiano » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:43 am

Hello guys,

I'm planning on buying either a used sub 37 (but in a great condition) or a new subsequent 37 (couldn't find these used near where I live).

The point is, there is a huge price gap between the two, and I would like to know whether there are features on the subsequent besides the bigger headroom and the pc wiring capabilities that would make me go buy the more expensive subsequent. That model costs 1600 euros here, and the used sub costs 1100 euros. Is the 500 euro difference worth it? 500 euros is about 600 USD.

Thanks in advance!

stiiiiiiive

Re: Sub 37 vs subsequent 37

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 am

CV of course! :)

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. Was thinking of the S37CV.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

macsaif

Post by macsaif » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 am

I think the question is about Ss37 and not SS37 CV. I have the same question because I am selling my Sub37 and probably will buy the Subsequent 37. Tomorrow I am going to try it. Please send you opinion if it is worth of it.
There are other possibilities I am considering:
Arturia Matrixbrute (lotcof functions however in my opinion the S37 sounds better - I have comparedvthem once on exhibition)
Used Voyager (I had no possibility to try it however I think it has a warmer sound)
ROLAND SE 02 + master keyboard

Speedpiano

Post by Speedpiano » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Yes, I was indeed asking whether I should take the Sub37 (https://www.moogmusic.com/products/phattys/sub-37) or the subsequent 37 (https://www.moogmusic.com/products/phat ... sequent-37).

I saw a few upgrades on the moog site since the sub37, but I was wondering whether it was worth the 500 euros. I do like having a newer model which, it does retain its value and provides warranty et cetera.

Just don't know if it is worth it, that's why I was asking. As moog is the industry standard and loved by many, I didn't really look at competitors (I mean, Cory Henry likes the sub/subsequent the best of all synths he played)

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 pm

I did mention this in another thread but I will reiterate it here. This still might not answer your question though. My first Synth ever was the Sub37. I came across it at a local music store and thought WOW this is a Moog and relatively affordable. But I am not a keyboard player and don't know anything about Synths so I have no business buying it. But I kept messing with it every time I was in the store and finally broke down and bought one. Actually found a demo for a couple hundred $ less.

It was really neat to get and start messing with. Kind of magical to me. That opened the door to buy a whole bunch more Synths and related gear. Then the Subsequent 37CV was announced. I did kind of like the idea of the CV outs but I really like the vintage colours of the Sub37 over the silver CV Subsequent. Then there was talk about the upgrade path for the Sub37 (sans CV) which I thought that would be nice because I could retain the vintage looks in the Sub37 but have the extra head room and new keybed. Then they announced the Subsequent 37 (non CV) which is the same colors as my Sub37.

So I was still intending on just sending my Sub37 to Moog for the upgrade. Then I got to thinking about seeing what I could get in trade in for my Sub37 and if it came close to about $400 difference of getting a Subsequent 37 then it would be a wash. The upgrade is $350 but then you have to add shipping so I figured it would be worth it. Well I was able to get the great grade in value and ended up getting the Subsequent 37.

For me though it was a little bitter sweet because again that was my first Synth so I had a little emotional ties to it. But now that it's been a few weeks I am glad I did it. So far I am really digging the Subsequent. I can't say I see/hear/feel a ton of difference between it and the Sub37 but it does seem to have a little bit more power behind it. I am still a crappy keyboardist and not huge power user so other people might have a different outlook on it.

So again it probably doesn't answer your question at all and maybe adds for indecisiveness. But for me so far I am glad I have the Subsequent now.

Speedpiano

Post by Speedpiano » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Thank you guys for answering!

Did a little thanking and the answer of captainkidd confirmed it.

Since the moog really retains its value (the sub 37 lost about 400/500 euros in a few years in value, which is very little), the subsequent 37 is a safe bet. Also, there are a few nice improvements and when buying a new keyboard makes it certain you are buying a undamaged one.

So I will be going to get the subsequent 37, thank you guys :D

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Congrats to the future you!! :)

macsaif

Post by macsaif » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Today I have been in a music store to compare the s37, ss37, Matrixbrute, some DSI stuff.

The keybed is best on DSi, MB is comparable with SS37.
Sound: SS37 wins, DSI also very good however different style. MB something missing for me.
There is not so much difference in keybed btw s37 and ss37. Ss37 is better but not much better.