Tips for making the Sub 37 sound like a Model D?

Everything Sub.
black_label

Tips for making the Sub 37 sound like a Model D?

Post by black_label » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:54 am

I have both a Sub 37 and a reissue Model D. In the middle of recording my band's latest album, my Model D started acting up and the oscillators started jumping 2-3 notes out of tune at random. It's looking like I'll have to finish the record with the Sub 37 - does anyone have an tips or tricks to make the Sub sound more like the D? I love the sound and harmonic complexity that I get with the D and. though the Sub sounds great, I just can't match D's rawness with the Sub. I feel like I'm pretty close but I obviously can't do anything to make the sub oscillator sound like a 32' sawtooth wave (when my others are set to 8').

If you've tried to match both before, I'd love to hear some tricks I might be missing!
-------
Model D, Sub37, Minitaur & some Moogerfoogers

mmarsh100

Re: Tips for making the Sub 37 sound like a Model D?

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Add a third oscillator. I've used the Werkstatt (modified with MIDI in) and a Mother 32. You'll never get all the way to a D, just like the D will not get all the way to a 37, but you can get close!

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:53 pm

Maybe a combination of the Sub37 and the Minitaur (3rd osc) would get you closer...Except for those hi octave leads. I would start by keeping the Sub's filter as open as possible, using the 6 pole setting and kb tracking to get it as bright as possible. Sorry to hear your Model D is acting a fool. Good luck!
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

black_label

Post by black_label » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:30 pm

That's an idea! Would I feed my Minitaur into the ext in on my Sub 37? Use them separately in stereo? What's the best way to do it?

I've noticed that the filter on the Sub is a looooot darker. The other main issue is getting the oscillators to have that wild, raw sound. There's a whole set of harmonics that the Sub 37 just doesn't have. It's almost like the oscs are always hard synced, but they're not.
-------
Model D, Sub37, Minitaur & some Moogerfoogers

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:42 am

black_label wrote:That's an idea! Would I feed my Minitaur into the ext in on my Sub 37? Use them separately in stereo? What's the best way to do it?

I've noticed that the filter on the Sub is a looooot darker. The other main issue is getting the oscillators to have that wild, raw sound. There's a whole set of harmonics that the Sub 37 just doesn't have. It's almost like the oscs are always hard synced, but they're not.
It might take some experimenting. It's impossible to say without hearing the types of sounds you are going for. I would try both the Sub's external input and summing them through a mixer. Not at the same time though. Ha! The raw sound of the Model D oscillators is a whole other issue to tackle. In many ways I think the Minitaur is closer there. So I would try to get the synthesis part as close as possible first (Modulations/Octaves/Detuning/Filtering etc.) and then maybe try a few different Preamps or DIs for the inputs to see what sounds closer. It will never be spot on but at least it could get you through the session.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

rss313

Post by rss313 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:48 am

Bump for similar thoughts...
Um, way to make the sub sound like werkstatt? Going for the sound in the bg of this song, I've confirmed it was werkstatt, what gives it that formant/gritty/throaty quality? It's s ladder lpf so i assumed i could do it easy with some wave mod around the square/ pulse but it's not quite there. Thoughts?
https://youtu.be/GZACiZ3DRGs