Sub 37 upgrade legit or troll?

Everything Sub.
stewthom

Re: Sub 37 upgrade legit or troll?

Post by stewthom » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi everyone,

Wondering if you need an ATA or molded case in order to ship your Sub 37 to Moog for the upgrade. Were people able to use standard UPS/Fedex packaging to ship their units, or were hardshell cases required? Thanks.

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:13 am

^ I used the standard boxes that it came shipped to me to send back. No issues, its back, and I'm happy for the upgrade.

voyager0500

Post by voyager0500 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:55 am

To those that did the full upgrade of their Sub37, how is the new keyboard? Is the update worth going for? What about the sound?
'i used to be a plastic cup..'
-remarkable-

draztik

Post by draztik » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:00 pm

I just sent mine in for the full upgrade. This video helped me make the decision https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS8syO7u0fY.

voyager0500

Post by voyager0500 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:46 am

I've sent mine in and received it back and I have some thoughts and a question. The sound has a lot more potential and can get distorted more than the sub 37. If you keep the levels low in the mixer you can get some nice tones. All in all sound wise I love how it sounds and I think it's worth upgrading.

The keybed is better but not night and day, it now doesn't bother me as much as the old one did.

Having said all this, I noticed that since I got it back the oscillators, when the frequency of osc2 and best Freq are set to 0 there is done phasing between the oscillators and add a result the sound cuts out when the phase reaches a certain point. Before the upgrade they would lock in and not do that, had anyone else noticed that? When you init a patch and just mix in osc2 do they stay to phase and beat on their own?

I know that analogue oscs should do that to a certain extent but I really liked that it didnt in the sub 37 before the upgrade.

I've run the note calibration and the pot calibration a few times and still can't get them to lock and not phase.
'i used to be a plastic cup..'
-remarkable-

black_label

Post by black_label » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:07 pm

aisling wrote:
littletinymonkey wrote:For the USA-based owners that have opted for this upgrade, what was your shipping cost to send the unit to Moog? Thanks!
I live 50 miles north of SF, CA. It cost me $110 ups ground (including insurance), arrived there in about 4 days, and after a stunningly quick turn around from moog, just got notified, that it's all done and ready to ship back to me. I also had one of the models with a faulty Cutoff filter frequency pot, that that I finally addressed.
How do you know if you have a faulty cutoff pot? I've had some issues with mine being squelchy and not smooth like it seemingly should be. Is the pot replacement part of the upgrade?
-------
Model D, Sub37, Minitaur & some Moogerfoogers

draztik

Post by draztik » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:53 am

black_label wrote:
aisling wrote:
littletinymonkey wrote:For the USA-based owners that have opted for this upgrade, what was your shipping cost to send the unit to Moog? Thanks!
I live 50 miles north of SF, CA. It cost me $110 ups ground (including insurance), arrived there in about 4 days, and after a stunningly quick turn around from moog, just got notified, that it's all done and ready to ship back to me. I also had one of the models with a faulty Cutoff filter frequency pot, that that I finally addressed.
How do you know if you have a faulty cutoff pot? I've had some issues with mine being squelchy and not smooth like it seemingly should be. Is the pot replacement part of the upgrade?
It may not part of this specific upgrade but you can get it upgraded. There are two different cutoff frequency pots that came in the Sub 37. There's the early plastic version, and the later upgraded metal version. The circuit boards are different between the two versions as the later pot was a through board design and the earlier pot was a surface mount design. From what I've read if your pot was faulty Moog would send you out the newer version board and pot at no charge. I'm assuming these people's Sub 37's were still under warranty but that's just a guess. Here is a video describing the problem and showing you the different pots and the newer board with the newer pot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwNVLUN92_E . And here's a forum post about it viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26131&p=160662&hil ... ot#p160662

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:30 pm

black_label wrote:
aisling wrote:
My cutoff frequency response would fizzle in and out (mostly out) beginning at about 300Hz, simply obviously wrong, and musically uninspiring. Yes the pot replacement is a standard part of the upgrade (the entire board is switched out), thats what moog told me, when I wanted to make sure the cutoff issue didn't get "forgotten" about, during the upgrade.