Sub 37 upgrade legit or troll?

Everything Sub.
macsaif

Re: Sub 37 upgrade legit or troll?

Post by macsaif » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:44 am

There should be an option without right control board too. I do not need the upgraded headphone amplifier. I have replaced this panel only 1 month ago (because of the metal pot).

I was hoping that there will be a possibility to add CV out board in the future however it is clearly written that it will be not possible.

At the moment I do not know if I need the new analogue board. When Moog released the Subsequent I liked it more than the Sub however I am not sure that it is worth of 200USD. I do not know how much cleaner is the sound of the Subsequent, maybe this is the only reason I would need the upgrade... for distortion I us Waldorf 2-pole filter and I am happy with it. For this filter I would need only the CV out from the Sub to control the Cutoff frequency of the 2-pole filter.

mildwest

Post by mildwest » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:24 pm

I went with it right away. I was one of the ones that bitched for this option. I'm excited. Got notice that it arrived today at the factory and hoping it's on the bench next week and back to me soon.

oli@sub37

Post by oli@sub37 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:03 am

mildwest wrote:I went with it right away. I was one of the ones that bitched for this option. I'm excited. Got notice that it arrived today at the factory and hoping it's on the bench next week and back to me soon.
So, the upgrade is already officially available? Where can I get info and order it?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
Voyager RME #1273 | Sub 37 #8490 with SSQ37 Update | Virus TI2 | Elektron MD MNM A4 | Roland SE-02 | Behringer Model D
Mac OS X 10.14 | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | MainStage 3 | RME UFX+

Dr.Sax

Post by Dr.Sax » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:53 am

oli@sub37 wrote: So, the upgrade is already officially available? Where can I get info and order it?
Just contact Moog or your local distributor. Here in Germany we have a 4 week wait.

oli@sub37

Post by oli@sub37 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:40 am

Dr.Sax wrote:
Just contact Moog or your local distributor. Here in Germany we have a 4 week wait.
Thanks!
Will do :D

Bass Player and Synthesist.
Voyager RME #1273 | Sub 37 #8490 with SSQ37 Update | Virus TI2 | Elektron MD MNM A4 | Roland SE-02 | Behringer Model D
Mac OS X 10.14 | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | MainStage 3 | RME UFX+

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 am

macsaif wrote:There should be an option without right control board too. I do not need the upgraded headphone amplifier. I have replaced this panel only 1 month ago (because of the metal pot).

I was hoping that there will be a possibility to add CV out board in the future however it is clearly written that it will be not possible.

At the moment I do not know if I need the new analogue board. When Moog released the Subsequent I liked it more than the Sub however I am not sure that it is worth of 200USD. I do not know how much cleaner is the sound of the Subsequent, maybe this is the only reason I would need the upgrade... for distortion I us Waldorf 2-pole filter and I am happy with it. For this filter I would need only the CV out from the Sub to control the Cutoff frequency of the 2-pole filter.

pretty sure that the right control board is the where the differences are in the mixer section for the sound engine upgrade... the headphone amp just happens to be on that board as well. I don't have any issues at all with the existing headphone amp but I plan to do the upgrade as I like the slight difference in the SSQ37 sound
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

macsaif

Post by macsaif » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:50 am

The contrl board has nothig to do with the bigger headroom of the mixer section. It is solved on the analog board which is also changed. In my opinion the change of control board is only because headphone amp.

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:05 pm

macsaif wrote:The contrl board has nothig to do with the bigger headroom of the mixer section. It is solved on the analog board which is also changed. In my opinion the change of control board is only because headphone amp.
ah - I didn't realize that there was another board in there - I thought everything apart from the PSU was on one of the two panel mounted boards.
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

mildwest

Post by mildwest » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 pm

mildwest wrote:I went with it right away. I was one of the ones that bitched for this option. I'm excited. Got notice that it arrived today at the factory and hoping it's on the bench next week and back to me soon.
Wow! Talk about quick. Already done and on its way back to me, landing this Thursday. Thanks Moog. Glad I have a long weekend.

voyager0500

Post by voyager0500 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:30 am

Please write back when you've had a chance to play with it enough! Looking to send mine in soon
mildwest wrote:
Wow! Talk about quick. Already done and on its way back to me, landing this Thursday. Thanks Moog. Glad I have a long weekend.
'i used to be a plastic cup..'
-remarkable-

macsaif

Post by macsaif » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:47 pm

I have had a little time and have checked the fatar keybeds. They are by 10mm wider then the keybed used in sub (3 octave version) which means that the keybed used in sub is definitely not fatar. I think I will wait few months with the upgrade than will check the feedbacks how the upgraded keybed looks after a few months of use. If it is the same chinese manufacturer I do not expect any big differences. I would welcome to hear more details about upgrade (more details.... Better materials, stronger construction, upgraded springs, etc)

littletinymonkey

Post by littletinymonkey » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:13 am

For the USA-based owners that have opted for this upgrade, what was your shipping cost to send the unit to Moog? Thanks!

macsaif

Post by macsaif » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:34 am

I have got the price for full update from local service, it is above 500EUR including transport costs(new parts from US). It makes no sense to update the sub37, the cost is 1/3 price of the new synth. The keybed update is 250EUR, I think it is the same story. I think the better solution is to trade the sub37 and buy the new SS37 however my solution will be to keep the Sub37 and forget the SS37.

captainkidd

Post by captainkidd » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 am

Well I made my mind up to go with the whole Sub37 upgrade but figured I would wait until after the first of the year. Then I was at my local GC which frequent a lot because it's a block away from work and was talking to one of the salepersons that I know. He mentioned their current 18% off sale which I just shrugged my shoulders because I've spent quite a bit lately and need to be a good boy. Then I got thinking after left how much a Subsequent would cost with the 18% discount.

Figured it out and then figured out how much that minus the $350.00 upgrade price was. I thought if GC would offer me about that much for my Sub 37 then it would actually be wash with having to pay the difference on a new Subsequent 37. And I wouldn't have to pack up the Sub 37 and send it off the Ashville for the upgrade. So GC pulled through and offered me just about right for my Sub 37. So now I have the Subsequent 37.

I did have mix feelings because the Sub 37 was actually my first Synth and gate drug to all this Synth stuff. And I never had any issues with it.

aisling

Post by aisling » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:48 pm

littletinymonkey wrote:For the USA-based owners that have opted for this upgrade, what was your shipping cost to send the unit to Moog? Thanks!
I live 50 miles north of SF, CA. It cost me $110 ups ground (including insurance), arrived there in about 4 days, and after a stunningly quick turn around from moog, just got notified, that it's all done and ready to ship back to me. I also had one of the models with a faulty Cutoff filter frequency pot, that that I finally addressed.