Renting Sub37 for gig...how to save presets on a hard drive?

Everything Sub.
mattymel

Renting Sub37 for gig...how to save presets on a hard drive?

Post by mattymel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:59 am

Hey y'all. I looked in the manual but didn't see any obvious heading for this. I'm renting a Sub37 for a gig in another city. We are flying in the day before. Has anyone saved their presets from their Sub37 on a hard drive and then installed them on a rented one? Can you walk me through this process? Or at least tell me where it is in the manual? Thanks!

stiiiiiiive

Re: Renting Sub37 for gig...how to save presets on a hard dr

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:28 am

Keywords must be SYSEX, DUMP and RECEIVE.

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:09 pm

I've read through the manual on these topics. Any one that can explain the process in lay man's terms? I only need like 5 presets stored. Should I just write them down?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:13 pm

I don't have any Sub 37 but tried to help anyway. I was sure those words could be helpful but maybe some user can do better.

Anybody?

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Also...I will say the manual is pretty lacking in describing what is needed to do what I am looking to do. No mention of the USB or anything else. Also what are you supposed to do in order to save the settings on a hard drive. No mention anywhere!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:38 pm

My best advice: try this at home a couple of times to be sure you won't mess when the time comes.

You need to connect your Sub to a computer through MIDI, albeit DIN or USB. You'll need to do it with the target instrument as well.
On each computer (or yours only if you bring it), you need an application capable of receiving, storing and sending MIDI SysEx files: Elektron C6 will do it simply and for free. - you may need to read a bit about C6, but as far as I remember, the manual is short. Other members may use anything else (a sequencer can do it as well).

In the Sub manual, I've just found the description of the SYSEX MIDI menu at p.36-37. You want to "send the current preset“: execute these steps and save the received data through C6 in a file. Repeat fo as many programs you want to take with you.

Mail those saved files to yourself, to a bandmate, even if you bring your computer or USB drive.

You will want to upload your saved programs on your target instrument. Then again, you'll need a computer and C6 installed on it. Read carefully the warning in the manual, set the right preset (the one you don't care about) on the target Sub 37 and use C6 to open the saved files and send them in.

Voilà.

Another thing you may want to take care of is the configuration of your instrument. Those files we talked about are just the programs; they don"t embed the settings as knob mode or whatever the Sub 37 proposes. So write down your settings (write down the target instrument settings as well) and reproduce them on the target instrument (and set it back to its user's configuration after all is clear).

Hope this helps.

Again, anybody, please make this more accurate as I don't own any Sub 37.

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 pm

This is all I could find in the manual.

My tour manager said there is a program to download called "Sysex librarian". Probably could have used that info in the manual...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:01 pm

I cannot see the image you uploaded, but I've used the manual I found on the MoogMusic website.

SysEx Librarian, as C6, is a third party application; I'm not surprised this does not appear in the manual.

breun

Post by breun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:23 pm

There is a separate manual for the Sub 37 Editor (comes with the download), which explains how to get sounds from/to the synth.