Moog Sub 37 configuration for Ableton Live 9 and Cubase 9

Everything Sub.
benprusinski

Moog Sub 37 configuration for Ableton Live 9 and Cubase 9

Post by benprusinski » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:03 am

Hi all,

I just bought a new Moog Sub 37 Tribute edition and love it! Now I am trying to figure out how to best configure the synthesizer to my Focusrite Scarlett audio interface, external monitor speakers, and Macbook Apple laptop computer. I have two MIDI cables to connect the Moog to the Scarlett audio interface and USB cable from the audio interface to my Apple Macbook computer. How would you setup the Moog this way and also the Ableton and Cubase configurations to work best with the Sub 37?

Thanks,
Ben

MDMA

Re: Moog Sub 37 configuration for Ableton Live 9 and Cubase

Post by MDMA » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:56 am

I would ditch the midi cables and opt for using USB from the moog to your computer. That way you can access the moog via the VST editor.

If you are going to use the midi route then in Cubase you will need to setup an external instrument within the device connections menu. Add a new instrument and ensure the input is set to that of the moog. Now the key thing to get everything working is to create a new midi device. Crest a new one with the relevant channel settings.
When you're all done open VST instruments and go to "external instruments" here you'll find your newly created device, open it up and bam!! You're done!
Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2.

benprusinski

Post by benprusinski » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks! Ok, so in Ableton, I was able to get my new Moog to record audio tracks fine with USB and MIDI.

The issue I have now is that when I go to create and record a new MIDI track from Ableton, the notes get recorded from the Moog via USB direct as well as via the audio interface so I know that the hardware is connected and working fine. However, when I playback the MIDI track from Ableton, now sound comes out of the MIDI clip UNLESS I switch to arrangement mode in Ableton and highlight the notes. Any idea how to fix this? Here is my setup:

Record MIDI from audio interface and Moog Sub 37:
http://imgur.com/a/DqzOM

Record MIDI via direct USB connection from Moog Sub 37:
http://imgur.com/a/05K03

Hardware Setup Audio Interface to Moog Sub 37:
http://imgur.com/a/NCfBg

Now how do you actually use the VST editor for the Moog when connected direct via USB? I have the editor downloaded on my Macbook Pro from Moog
but don't know how to actually get it to open up from Ableton.

Many thanks!
Ben

MDMA

Post by MDMA » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:01 am

I've never used Ableton, can't help you there.
Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2.

benprusinski

Post by benprusinski » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Do you use Cubase? I am looking at buying Cubase 9 for the arrangement and composing features missing in Ableton.

If so, would be interested in how to configure the Moog for Cubase.

MDMA

Post by MDMA » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Yes I do.....and I explained how to do it in my first reply.

benprusinski

Post by benprusinski » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:42 am

Thanks got it working :-)

Been hashing around learning how to use the different bits. Lots of fun! Blown away at how many different sounds I can get of the lovely Moog.

Only downside is the newer VST software packages don't always play well with the Moog.

dirx808

Post by dirx808 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:10 pm

These are dynamite combinations of synth and software! I just look at the Sub 37 Editor as a really nice bonus... It's not perfect but adds so much to an already killer analog synth. Hope you are enjoying it. Let me know if you have further questions... I've been around the block with all of these.

The one major issue I ran into with the Moogs (both Sub 37 and Minitaur) when using USB was a ground loop hum. It is extremely low but becomes apparent once you start stacking effects like drives on the outputs. I have found some great solutions for both USB and audio path isolation. I am using a strictly USB based MIDI network and fully analog audio path with Abe/Cubase to control five analog synths and a Wurly 200 with a MacBook air. An absolute dream setup.
New Moogs: Sub 37, Minitaur - Ableton Live 9, Cubase 9, WaveLab 9 - Duet, UAD Apollo Twin + Octo - MacBook Air (10.11.6), Mac mini x2 (10.12.3) - MiniFooger Delay (x2), Drive and Chorus -- Legacy: Prodigy (Rev. 1), Juno-60, DX7 (Rev. 1 + Grey Matter E!)