Sub 37's "dark" tone: myth?

Everything Sub.
Ted3000

Sub 37's "dark" tone: myth?

Post by Ted3000 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 am

I keep seeing discussion of the Sub 37's darker tone, at least compared to other Moog instruments like the Mini.

I'd like to mention that if you pull up a factory default INIT patch and hit some notes, you're probably hearing the oscillators being slightly lowpassed.

The main reason is the default keytracking is 50%. So even if your cutoff knob is fully cranked, the top end is slightly tapered off. Turn keytrack down and you'll get more highs. If you want even more top end from your raw unfiltered oscillators, the 6db filter type will pass more overtones.

So it seems you can't get the filter's effect 100% out of the signal, but you can get close. Closer than people seem to believe.

It's also worth pointing out that unless you exclusively play through a pair of headphones, you're running the audio into things like a mixer with EQ, a DAW, maybe effects or stomps with exciters and compressors, where frequencies and dynamics are balanced to taste. It's relative.

Darker? Maybe sometimes. But not worth the dark reputation it seems to have in discussion forums.
soundcloud.com/astrospy

Chimponaut

Re: Sub 37's "dark" tone: myth?

Post by Chimponaut » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:41 pm

I agree with you and have stated as much. One more thing...The velocity amount knob. (only visible in the editor) It defaults to something other then off. So velocity is also effecting the brightness a tad bit in the initialized patches.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo