1.2 Firware update has bricked my synth

Everything Sub.
vitamindevo

1.2 Firware update has bricked my synth

Post by vitamindevo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:53 pm

I had 1.2 installed already, and wanted to install it again thinking it hadn't worked right because of a weird syncing issue with Reason.
After updating, everything on the synth has stopped working, no sound comes out, and no buttons seam to do anything. I have tried manually installing the Firmware as well, and same issue.
I restarted several times on/off and still, no sound.

I am beyond confused and frustrated at what a waste of time this has been. Please help.

vitamindevo

Re: 1.2 Firware update has bricked my synth

Post by vitamindevo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:28 pm

*Update I reset everything and was able to regain control of the synth. Still have not solved the sync issue though.

Ted3000

Post by Ted3000 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Glad to hear you're up and running again.

Incorrectly installed firmware would never cause a specific issue like sync. Firmware either installs perfectly or it fails to install, thanks to a checksum. So reinstalling the same version is never any better than a reset.
soundcloud.com/astrospy

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:40 pm

For what its worth, the word "bricked" has a very specific meaning.

It means that, due to something catastrophic going wrong during the update process, a device no longer has the code needed to know how to load firmware.

When something's "bricked" it HAS to be sent back to the factory to have the damaged code put directly onto the chip.

Nothing that the user can try on their own will ever make a bricked device operational again.

"Bricked" doesn't mean that a simple change in your updating method needs to be tried, but hasn't been tried yet.

I mention this only because having the word "bricked" in a forum post is a very scary thing (if it were true).

The fact that you were able to get it working means that, by definition, it wasn't bricked at all.

Glad you found the right method :-)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _