Sub 37 Audio Modulation

Everything Sub.
synthguy

Sub 37 Audio Modulation

Post by synthguy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:16 pm

I just got a Sub 37 and am slowly picking my way through the (many) various modulation possibilities.

One thing that I haven't been able to accomplish so far is the ability to use the actual oscillator output to mododulate the other oscillator frequency input (cross mod) or use an oscillator output to modulate the filter cutoff (the filter in oscillation with the resonance up full would accomplish the same thing).

In fact, I haven't actually found a way to create audio rate modulation at all, aside from setting the LFOs to HI range, and then that only goes as high as 1000hz.

What am I missing here?
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

Ted3000

Re: Sub 37 Audio Modulation

Post by Ted3000 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:35 pm

I don't think this is possible, unless I am mistaken.

Oscillator pitch is a mod source, but it's not the wave output that is used. It's more like the note, or input side control voltage. So higher notes produce more modulation, but that source is a steady value like a mod wheel, not the audio rate rising and falling of a periodic wave. So no direct osc to osc modulation.

FM tones can be conjured by fast lfos with Osc pitch routed to speed. Not exactly crossmod.
soundcloud.com/astrospy

DrJustice

Re: Sub 37 Audio Modulation

Post by DrJustice » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:18 pm

The LFOs can modulate each other, so in principle you can get a 3 operator FM stack. Keytracking is also available for the LFOs, so various kinds of FM patches are possible within the LFO frequency limit. 1kHz is almost C6 though, so that limit is not as severe as one might initially think.