New User Problems with Logic Pro X Help!!! ....

Everything Sub.
PTuser

New User Problems with Logic Pro X Help!!! ....

Post by PTuser » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi
Just unpacked my Sub 37. Plugged the USB connection in and Audio. Midi is working via USB - Im going to be using the Sub to play in , Sync Arps and Sequences etc.
The USB is corrupting Audio and the Patches. Turning it into audio Mush.

I can't turn off local as was suggested in another thread as I want to use local to generate the Midi. I have set up the Editor Plug In which works ok but have dispensed with it for the time being as its another thing to contend with. I must be doing something fundamentally wrong as it can't possibly be so bad. I also can't work out how to sync to Logics tempo. All info seems to be about syncing Logics Tempo clock to the Sub not the other more useful way. Receiving Clock is also crucial

I can't find a proper tutorial on DAW integration. Should be one in there with the instructions, like most other manufacturers do these days surely?

Be grateful for some help from more experienced Sub users.....

breun

Re: New User Problems with Logic Pro X Help!!! ....

Post by breun » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I can't turn off local as was suggested in another thread as I want to use local to generate the Midi.
Turning off local control doesn't mean the synth won't send MIDI. It is actually meant for exactly the use case you're describing AFAIK.

Page 10 of the Sub 37 Editor User's Manual says:
WARNING: Before using your Sub 37 with a DAW, go to the GLOBAL SETTINGS section of the SETUP menu. Under the LOCAL CONTROL section – turn Keys, Wheels and Panel OFF to prevent MIDI issues. Be sure to turn these back ON when not in use with a DAW. If you do not do this, Local Control will be turned off and your Sub 37 will not produce sound.
I do think this should be communicated more clearly by Moog. Quite a number of forum posts seem to be about MIDI issues and local control settings and this warning in the editor user's manual is easily missed. The local control feature is explained in more detail in the regular manual, but that section doesn't mention use with a DAW at all and doesn't explain in what situations you'll want to use these settings.

LuthierMark

Post by LuthierMark » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:46 pm

+1 @breun
"The thing is, to put a motor in yourself" fz

Moog Sub 37 1.2.0, Nord Modular Rack, Novation KSr,
Emagic Unitor8, Focusrite Saffire Pro40,
Logic Pro X 10.3, MacBook Pro Retina 11.2, macOS 10.12.3

PTuser

Post by PTuser » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:51 pm

Thank you for responding

I did try to do this as I mentioned in the OP. What happened was I lost the ability to actually play anything on it....

breun

Post by breun » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:05 pm

You're not using the plugin in the DAW? I believe you'll want to use that. The Sub 37 Editor User's Manual explains how to set up your DAW track on page 10:
PLUG-IN EDITOR CONFIGURATION

Configure your DAW in the same way you would when using any external hardware instrument - with MIDI connected via USB or DIN, and audio connected from the output of the Sub 37 to your audio interface.

Once configured, you can insert the Sub 37 Editor plug-in on the effects insert of any track.

NOTE: Only one instance of the Sub 37 editor is supported within a project. Because it is only an editor and cannot multiply the number of Sub 37s you own, this is generally not a problem.

The Sub 37 Editor plug-in uses its own MIDI connection to communicate with your Sub 37, independent from the Audio/MIDI settings in your DAW. This MIDI connection is configured in the editor SETUP page under the EDITOR SETTINGS section. Simply go to the MIDI INPUT and MIDI OUTPUT tabs and select Sub 37. This is the same page as the standalone editor.

Turning knobs on your Sub 37 will now move the virtual knobs in the plug-in. These tweaks can be recorded and played back as parameter automation. You can also add preset changes to the plug-in on your MIDI tracks.

NOTE: The state of the plug-in (and the associated Sub 37 hardware settings) are saved and restored from your DAW.

WARNING: Before using your Sub 37 with a DAW, go to the GLOBAL SETTINGS section of the SETUP menu. Under the LOCAL CONTROL section – turn Keys, Wheels and Panel OFF to prevent MIDI issues. Be sure to turn these back ON when not in use with a DAW. If you do not do this, Local Control will be turned off and your Sub 37 will not produce sound.

PLUG-IN USE NOTES

A number of DAW programs offer an “external instrument” device, which handles MIDI and audio on a single track. In this case, you can use the Sub 37 Editor on the same track that is hosting the external instrument device for the Sub 37.

If you prefer to keep your Sub 37 audio on its own audio track, then insert the editor like an effect on an audio track. Since the Sub 37 editor uses its own MIDI connection to the synthesizer, it doesn’t matter what track is hosting the editor plug-in.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR WINDOWS USERS: Windows does not allow more than one program to use a USB MIDI device at a time, which can cause connection issues if you are trying to use the Sub 37 USB port for both your DAW and the editor at the same time. You can use this setup (and in fact it’s ideal) but to do so in Windows requires the Moog USB MIDI Driver for Windows to be installed. Look for the Moog USB driver installer located in the Windows installation folder of this release package.
Last edited by breun on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LuthierMark

Post by LuthierMark » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:07 pm

You have to set up a Software instrument track in Logic that uses the External instrument plugin, and then set up the External instrument MIDI port and channel to your Sub 37, and the returning Audio c port for the audio.

When you select the track in logic, with Local off on your Sub 37, playing the keyboard now sends MIDI not on-off to Logic and Logic sends the notes to your Sub 37, which in turn will send its audio to the audio port you set up in logic.

Got some screenshots attached, in reverse order (sorry)
Attachments
Schermafbeelding 2017-04-01 om 23.00.50.png
Schermafbeelding 2017-04-01 om 23.02.11.png

PTuser

Post by PTuser » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:04 am

Thanks...

I don't know why the first time I disconnected local the keyboard stopped inputting Midi , however I went back , tried it again, and it worked ......Thank you.....

The Midi sync for arps and seq seems random despite the Editor saying its set to MIDI. Is there an additional trick to ensure it takes the DAWS clock?

LuthierMark

Post by LuthierMark » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:48 pm

PTuser wrote: The Midi sync for arps and seq seems random despite the Editor saying its set to MIDI. Is there an additional trick to ensure it takes the DAWS clock?
You have to make sure Logic is sending MID clock to the Sub 37. You can set this up in the Project Settings menu, under 'Synchronization ...'. and make sure you set the 'Sync' button to on (it lights up) in the Arp section of the sub 37. Then all should be well. Not that when the Sub is synced to Logic, you can still use the Arp Rate knob, only now it will set the rate to a quantised value, somewhere between 4 whole notes to a 64th triplet.

Happy syncing!