Sub 37 OS updates?

Everything Sub.
joehoward

Sub 37 OS updates?

Post by joehoward » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:48 pm

Any updates on a new or updated OS for the Sub 37?

Thanks

Joe

JavaLaurence

Re: Sub 37 OS updates?

Post by JavaLaurence » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Same here,plus: where on the Moog site do we find the latest version? Thx!

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:28 pm

You need to register your Sub 37 to get a link by e-mail to the 1.2 firmware update and the editor.

breun

Post by breun » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:00 am

I don't know why, but only the older 1.1.0 firmware is linked on the download tab of the Sub 37 product page at https://www.moogmusic.com/products/phat ... nloads-tab

I would recommend registering your Sub 37 to automatically get notified of any new updates, but you can also directly download the Sub 37 editor 1.0.0 and firmware 1.2.0 here: http://www.moogmusic.com/firmware/Sub_3 ... v1_0_0.zip

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:07 am

I've also been wondering why the editor and the firmware isn't linked to on the Sub 378 product page. When you register and get the e-mail about the editor, the download link contains what appears to be a unique ID, probably connected to your Sub 37 registration. The only reason I can think of for why it's done this way, is that Moog wants to know how many unique users are downloading the editor.

So it may be that by using that method to get the editor and firmware, we're helping Moog to generate statistics that they may find useful. If that's the case, direct downloads from the link above may not count in the statistics, giving Moog less of an incentive to make and maintain editors. Not that a few untracked downloads will count for much - I'm just speculating about why they do it this way, and I could be wrong.

As it is, owners who do not register their Sub 37 misses out on the editor and the latest firmware. Perhaps Moog wants to comment on why it's done this way?

Edit: typo
Last edited by DrJustice on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

breun

Post by breun » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:12 pm

DrJustice wrote:When you register and get the e-mail about the editor, the download link contains what appears to be a unique ID, probably connected to your Sub 37 registration.
The URL in the mailing looks like http://moogmusic.us2.list-manage.com/tr ... another-id>, which is MailChimp's standard format for links in their mailings. (The list-manage.com domain is owned by MailChimp.) These links redirect to the actual link entered by the email author, but the redirect link on that list-manage.com domain of course offers MailChimp the opportunity to track whether/how many times a particular user clicked a link in a mailing. This information might also be exposed to Moog.

Registering your synth is the way to subscribe to the mailinglist, but other than that I don't think there is any real registration checking going on in the download URL. If Moog really wanted to restrict access to the editor download, the should only allow access to logged in users, but it's there on their servers for the whole world to download.
The only reason I can think of for why it's done this way, is that Moog wants to know how many unique users are downloading the editor.
Why only do this for the editor and not for the (older) firmwares and manuals, etc.? It would be nice if at least the latest version of the editor and firmware was mentioned on the download tab, even if they are not directly linked to on the download tab, so it's at least easy for users to check whether they have the latest released version installed or not. But ideally you'd just find the current and archived versions of everything on that download tab!

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:48 pm

breun wrote: ...
Why only do this for the editor and not for the (older) firmwares and manuals, etc.? It would be nice if at least the latest version of the editor and firmware was mentioned on the download tab, even if they are not directly linked to on the download tab, so it's at least easy for users to check whether they have the latest released version installed or not. But ideally you'd just find the current and archived versions of everything on that download tab!
As mentioned, perhaps they wanted to track the usage of the Editor to quantify their incentive to make and maintain such software? After all, its costs a bit to make that nice editor.

I note that the 1.2.0 firmware and the editor manual are on Download tab on the product page now! :)

They're still asking us to register to get the editor though (also on the Download tab) hence I'm thinking that they'd really want to track the number of users of it. It only takes a minute to register, so why not.

breun

Post by breun » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:59 pm

I don't think it's a problem to register, but it is a bit annoying when I bring my synth to a friend's studio that I have to go and search for that download link in my e-mail archive again. I'd rather just go to the Moog site and grab it there. They could also just track the number of downloads on the site if that's really the point.

Cool that the latest firmware is now also available on the download tab. I still don't understand what is so special about the editor that they won't link to it on the site. In my experience this an unnecessary inconvenience for the user.
Last edited by breun on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:08 pm

We do get a direct link returned for your tracked download, but yeah, it's a bit fiddly to get hold of it depending on your browser and your techy'ness. I agree that a direct link on the Download page would be good, perhaps using the IP address to track the downloads to get a reasonable estimate of the number of unique users/installations.

The editor is far to nice to "keep secret" and have folks missing out on it :!:

Edit: typo...

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Yes, it's pretty idiotic wanting people to register just to update a firmware or get the editor/update the editor.
Talk about making people jump through hoops :-(
No idea why Moog thinks this is the way forward.