Using an expression pedal on Sub37 for modulation

Everything Sub.
amyristom

Using an expression pedal on Sub37 for modulation

Post by amyristom » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi there,
sorry if this has been asked before (then I was unable to find it):
Because most of the time my both hands are used with playing different synths, up to now I have always used an expression pedal to control the amount of pitch modulation on my lead synth solos. In these cases the expression pedal is doing exactly the same thing as using the modulation wheel.
Question: Is it possible to connect an expression pedal to the Sub37 to do the same thing? I know I can use the CV mapping function to reroute the expression pedal input to all different kinds of targets. The closest thing I have found is routing it to "Pitch Amount". But the effect is slightly uncontrollable and not the same as using the modulation wheel: Pitch amount sets the maximum value of pitch modulation that the modulation wheel can get to when set to 100%. So by controlling that with an expression pedal, the amount of pitch modulation quickly gets way to fast / high.
To cut it short: I want the expression pedal to act EXACTLY like the modulation wheel is doing. Is this possible? If yes, what do I have to do?

_DemonDan_

Re: Using an expression pedal on Sub37 for modulation

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:30 am

amyristom wrote:I want the expression pedal to act EXACTLY like the modulation wheel is doing. Is this possible? If yes, what do I have to do?
Although this forum tends to prefer analog CV solutions, sometimes a MIDI Solution is a better alternative:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIPC

This would allow an expression pedal to create a stream of CC Values.

If you had it send CC#1 you would get the EXACT behavior of the Mod Wheel.

Whichever of the two was last used (Mod Wheel or Expression pedal sending CC#1) would be the value that the Sub 37 would be responding to.

If you own any other keyboards that have an Expression Pedal jack and MIDI Out, you could use that as your converter instead.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Straycat

Post by Straycat » Mon May 24, 2021 9:39 pm

This really is the only way to do this? I find that pretty insane... such a basic feature. I am extremely frustrated. Haha.

Montfrooij

Post by Montfrooij » Wed May 26, 2021 4:50 am

You have 3 CV inputs.
Both are routed (by default) to either pitch, filter frequency or volume.
You can change this in the editor.
I feel there is no way to use either one to control the mod amount.
But, you can store this setting per preset, so whatever the mod wheel is controlling, you can assign the filter CV to do the same.
Takes some time, but it works perfectly