sound is "going away" after a minute or so...

Everything Sub.
dettenbach

sound is "going away" after a minute or so...

Post by dettenbach » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:54 pm

Hiho guys,

my sub37 gets quiter on headphone output from time to time slowly over a minute down to nothing. Sometime sit takes longer - sometimes the effect is not there. It seems get faster / more often if i twek filter or other "volume" related pots (except the "volume "Knobs for main and headphone out)

The sound of moving filters could be still heard - it seems just the oscillator sound is going "away" while the main audio out stays normal.

First i thought this must be a potentiometer problem on the headphone pot / jack, but it isn't - i could twek the main volume and headphone pot without any change of the effect (while the sound gets quiiter/louder as expected while tweaking the volume knobs, the "overall" volume is going down and the sound get's a bit more "hissy"). On a full analog synth with pots i would tip onto a cold soldering point, pot contact problem or so, but this would not reset each time after a system restart. i would It seems more a software related thing, because when i restart the sub37 hardly it works again. If i "just" switch presets it doesn't change (but may depend from the preset).

I know, this sounds crazy, but is ugly when fiddeling just on headphones. I hear the filter / gate but no osc, while on the main out the sound is fulle there (i thought headphone and main out are some kind of just "parallel").

Any idea? Software bug?

Will try to full reset the system and replay the firmware onto it (it is the latest 1.20/1.20).

Does anyone seen a similiar bug / effect?

many thanks,

Niels.
((d^b))
dettenbach music fab
http://dettenbach.de

hard: MacBookPro 12.1 (late 2015)
soft: / OS 10.11.3 / Pro Tools 12.5 / Studio One 3.2

umami

Re: sound is "going away" after a minute or so...

Post by umami » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:22 pm

This happens to me occasionally. Just happened last night, in fact. Restart seems to fix it sometimes. Hasn't happened to me in a performance setting yet, but it's disconcerting.

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:03 am

Hi,
There is already a thread regarding headphones output issues.
Mine finally had a board replaced and the problem definitely fixed.

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:10 pm

I never use the headphone output. But...Very occasionally I'll get a stuck note and not realize it. Depending on the sustain and release settings of the envelopes, the sound can fade out while playing. After it fades out it won't make a sound until the stuck note is released. The first time this happened it sounded exactly like what you are describing. I definitely thought something was wrong. Next time this happens try this...

"MIDI PANIC
Holding both KB OCTAVE buttons at the same time for about one second will send a MIDI Panic (All
Notes and Controllers Off) message."

I know there are reported issues with the headphone output but this might be worth a shot for some people with fading out problems.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo