Sync Sub 37 arpeggiator to logic (Solved!)

Everything Sub.
kalithas

Sync Sub 37 arpeggiator to logic (Solved!)

Post by kalithas » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:38 pm

I was wondering how I can sync my Sub 37 to the tempo in logic. Specifically the arpeggiator. I am pretty new to music production in general and the sub 37 is my first synth. My current set up is sub37 > scarlett 2i2 > MacBook pro. Do I need midi connections in order for this to work or am I fine with my current set up? Thanks!
Last edited by kalithas on Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattymel

Re: Sync Sub 37 arpeggiator to logic

Post by mattymel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Usually best (cleaner) to do this sort of thing via Midi.

kalithas

Post by kalithas » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:31 pm

mattymel wrote:Usually best (cleaner) to do this sort of thing via Midi.

Okay great. Thats what I figured... So I will return the scarlett 2i2 for 2i4 and try it again. Thanks!

Suspish

Post by Suspish » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:28 pm

I think you could just plug the usb out of the sub37 into the macbook and pass midi through there. No need to run it through the audio interface.

mrkennethdel

Post by mrkennethdel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:40 pm

I use a USB cable for MIDI and it works just fine. Be sure to set up Logic to send clock to at least the SUB37.

kalithas

Post by kalithas » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Okay thanks for the replies! I will try when I get home.

kalithas

Post by kalithas » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Okay I connected it but it is connected as a midi keyboard now to play VST instuments... I wanted the actual sound of the moog to sync up to the tempo in logic . Is this possible?

mrkennethdel

Post by mrkennethdel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:17 am

kalithas wrote:Okay I connected it but it is connected as a midi keyboard now to play VST instuments... I wanted the actual sound of the moog to sync up to the tempo in logic . Is this possible?
The USB connection is for MIDI only. MIDI does not transmit audio. Are you aware of this? You may need to do some research on the topic.
Last edited by mrkennethdel on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalithas

Post by kalithas » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:57 pm

Okay I understand thank you for the help but this still doesn't answer my question. I just would like to know if it is possible to have the sound of the sub 37s arpeggiator to sync up to the tempo in logic?

mrkennethdel

Post by mrkennethdel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:05 pm

mrkennethdel wrote:I use a USB cable for MIDI and it works just fine. Be sure to set up Logic to send clock to at least the SUB37.
As stated earlier in the thread, yes.

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:27 pm

kalithas wrote:Okay I understand thank you for the help but this still doesn't answer my question. I just would like to know if it is possible to have the sound of the sub 37s arpeggiator to sync up to the tempo in logic?

yes - if you connect the sub 37 to your mac with USB, you can send MIDI clock from Logic to that destination in the project settings synchronization tab. You will need to turn on 'sync' in the arp section of your 37. You may find it works better to turn local control off on your sub when you do this sort of thing
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

kalithas

Post by kalithas » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:19 pm

stewdio wrote:
kalithas wrote:Okay I understand thank you for the help but this still doesn't answer my question. I just would like to know if it is possible to have the sound of the sub 37s arpeggiator to sync up to the tempo in logic?

yes - if you connect the sub 37 to your mac with USB, you can send MIDI clock from Logic to that destination in the project settings synchronization tab. You will need to turn on 'sync' in the arp section of your 37. You may find it works better to turn local control off on your sub when you do this sort of thing
Okay thanks I just did everything you said but now I am not getting any sound out of the sub 37 into logic. Please see below for my settings. I am also a little confused as someone stated earlier in this thread that you cannot get audio out of MIDI. Maybe I might not being clear and I apologize as I am pretty new to all of this including the workflow of logic and music making in general. I do not want to use the sub as a midi keyboard for VSTs. I want to play the actual sounds from the sub 37 into logic and sync the arpeggiator from the sub 37 to logic so I can play along to the tempo/drums within logic.

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:46 am

is the logic transport in play (or record)? when the 'sync' button is engaged on the sub37 it won't do anything until it receives midi clock, and logic doesn't transmit midi clock when it's stopped
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

kalithas

Post by kalithas » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am

Thank you for all your help! I finally figured it out. Only thing now is I need to figure out why its only coming out of one ear. :roll:

breun

Post by breun » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:59 am

It would be helpful to know what solved your problem for future people that find this forum thread. What was the key to the solution?

The Sub 37 has a mono output. If you recorded on a stereo track, you probably only have audio on either the left or right channel. Try a mono track instead. (Or check the panning setting for the track if it's already mono.)