What amplifiers do you use for your Sub37?

Everything Sub.
mattymel

What amplifiers do you use for your Sub37?

Post by mattymel » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:48 pm

Hey y'all. Just wondering what amps you like to use with your Sub37? Eventually I'll be taking mine on the road and likely using mainly decent stage monitors. But, for around town gigs that's not always an option. Are there any powered monitors or keyboard amps you like to use that can handle all the bass as well as highs the Sub37 has in its arsenal? Thanks!

dalahorse

Re: What amplifiers do you use for your Sub37?

Post by dalahorse » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:32 am

I use a KC-550. It may be overkill for your application. Not sure. But it's a beast for sure. And it can handle any low notes you throw at it at quite a loud volume. I also use it for my bass guitars.

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:32 pm

Those look promising, though heavy? Do you like the built in effects?

dalahorse

Post by dalahorse » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Heavy? Yes. But it's got wheels. So as long as there aren't stairs, it's no problem. That being said, there are no effects on this amp.
Dalahorse
Synths, drums, and bass

tomoog

Post by tomoog » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:35 am

Hi mattymel,
Regarding taking your Sub 37 on the road...
Over time, the Power, audio and particularly USB sockets will loosen up and stop if you're plugging/unplugging every night. Expen$ive.
Short extender cables permanently connected can prevent this - see pic.
Thusly, you wear out the extenders instead of the Sub 37. Road case space may need adjusting also.
Sub 37 Socket relievers.JPG

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:43 am

Hmm. Interesting. Seems like a good idea. Does Moog sell those in their site?

Just ordered a road case for mine yesterday which is the Phatty/Sub37 one with the storage space for cables/etc. Hopefully they'll be enough space for something like that.

On a related subject, are there any keyboard stands that you especially like with the Sub37? I'm already getting pretty used to having some table space next to it for some delay/reverb/ring mod pedals...So something that has space for those would be ideal.

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:45 am

As far as effects go, I'm really a guitar player, so have plenty of extra pedals floating around. So I'm not really that concerned that the amp has effects. I guess it was the Roland 880 that I saw has built in effects?

freekey

Post by freekey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:12 pm

I tour with my Sub Patty quite a bit and always have a powered QSCk12 wedge on hand in case I need my own amplification for monitoring. Most respectable rooms will be able to provide you with your own mix, but having the monitor on hand is good security, just in case they don't. I used to use power amp and wedge with a 15" speaker in it and that worked great as well. I play with really loud bands and the majority of keyboard amps just don't cut it when trying to compete against any respectable guitar amp. Most amps will color tone and I am not a fan of that either as I believe in using pedals and efx to attain your tone. I have started using in ear's for self monitoring and so far so good. Good luck.

aisling

Post by aisling » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:51 pm

Another QSC K 12 fan here. I started with one, but now have 2 and the matching sub.

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:07 am

Well I finally splurged on a QSC K12. I have to say I am on the fence. The top end is nice and clear. But the low end I am getting is leaving something to be desired. Honestly I think the K12 may not be suitable for the kind of bass the Sub37 can put out. I would give it a few weeks before the speaker blows. That is just my guess, but I'm pretty sure.

I'm considering trading the K12 in for a bass amp with some nice top end on it. Hmm...

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:36 am

mattymel wrote:Well I finally splurged on a QSC K12. I have to say I am on the fence. The top end is nice and clear. But the low end I am getting is leaving something to be desired. Honestly I think the K12 may not be suitable for the kind of bass the Sub37 can put out. I would give it a few weeks before the speaker blows. That is just my guess, but I'm pretty sure.

I'm considering trading the K12 in for a bass amp with some nice top end on it. Hmm...
I can see your point, but wonder if you should look for a sub to augment instead of trading out the K12. I would have gone K15 if it was going to be my only monitor, but I knew I wanted to build a PA, so I started with 1 K12, and then added another and the matching Sub a few months later when finances were better....Of course with that rig, I have no top or bottom issues, it purrs al the way around.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:57 am

mattymel wrote:Well I finally splurged on a QSC K12.
Nice splurge! The K12 is a great choice. Now you need a second for stereo... :wink:
mattymel wrote:The top end is nice and clear. But the low end I am getting is leaving something to be desired. Honestly I think the K12 may not be suitable for the kind of bass the Sub37 can put out. I would give it a few weeks before the speaker blows. That is just my guess, but I'm pretty sure.
Kinda doubt that the speaker's gonna go anytime soon. Lot's of power there to crank out the sonics, and the speakers are designed to handle it (according to QSC). Maybe try the 'DEEP' setting to see if that improves things?

cyberghostx13

Post by cyberghostx13 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Hello. I am new here and to the world of the synthesizer. I bought a Behringer Ultratone K1800 FX a few years back just for a quick set-up/ plug in for my iPad so I didn't have to turn on my Home Theater System or my iMac but I just didn't use it that much in the end. I live in an apt but it's cool to go a little loud in the daytime. I've lived here for twenty years and it's location, location, location, dead-end circle just up in the hills of San Carlos, California. Anyway I'm retired and I needed a new passion in my life as my best friend and companion Rockie(Tymneh African Grey Parrot) passed away(Jan. 3rd 2016) after 35 years together. We were tight and played games some of which involved flying. Rockie was a natural synth and talked as well. Rockie made the sounds of a microwave oven, opening a can of beer, champagne cork opening, commercial truck backing up, barked like a small dog and a few other sounds. Talking with words like OK, Apple, Oh Really, You Bet, Hello, Wow, What, Rockie, and a few others. I posted this info so others will understand where I'm coming from in all of this, I needed something to be passionate about in life again. I want to learn but I want to have fun in the process, and I'm retired so I have the time to put into all this.

Anyway I would appreciate any comments about my Behringer K1800 FX be they good or bad. I have the K1800 sitting on top of a 40 year old FiberFlex skateboard with orange OJ wheels and it's a great fit and looks really cool, kinda has a floating look to it. It sits to the right of my Home Theater System by the back wall and when I want to use it I just roll it to the front and center of my Home Theater. I then pick up my stand(Knox Audio Z) and place in front of my leather, swiveling bar stool with arms and a sturdy, circular base. The Sub 37 fits the Knox Stand perfectly at the skinniest setting, even the little pads underneath fit right on the steel. Well anyway I just wanted to contribute something here even if it's just about amps and stands. Later.
Route66 To Orion

KincaidDesigns

Post by KincaidDesigns » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:09 am

Howdy,
Check into the Mackie Thump 12 & Thump 15. They are made for heavy bass applications. Nice price too!

mattymel

Post by mattymel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:49 pm

I returned the QSC K12 and tried a EV ELX115P (15" 1000watts) next. That too wasn't really cutting it for me. I'm now leaning towards a bass amp of some kind. Though I will say, my friend's Mackie Thump15 sounded bigger than both monitors I've bought. They both were more clear sounding, but lacked the low end of the Thump. But for the money, the Thump may be a temporary solution.