Midi sync issues

Everything Sub.
Johnnyaardvark

Midi sync issues

Post by Johnnyaardvark » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:56 am

Hi all.

1st post... Been lurking for a few months and greatly enjoying my 1st moog synth. The sub 37.

Having some issues with synchronising midi and wondering how most people are getting on.

I'm using a triton extreme as the master clock and I am using this as a midi controller for an analog 4. Tempo defined by the triton on the A4. I'm then using midi through send the bpm to the sub 37.

Sync is working. Pressing the sync button. Sometimes I have to turn the arp off and on again but the Tempo light on the sub 37 flashes and I'm away.

The 1st time I press a key/chord the arp or sequence plays instantly and in time. But after stopping and restarting the arp and then playing again there is a slight delay and the arp/sequence plays out of time.... but probably with correct Tempo.

Any thoughts? Settings I may have missed?

What do you do to sync arp and sequences from different instruments?

Thanks in advance

Steve

ObtuseMoose

Re: Midi sync issues

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:16 am

Check out the Sequencer PHASE RESET setting (GLOBAL -> SEQ OPTIONS -> PHASE RESET). From the manual:
The Sub37 Manual wrote: PHASE RESET
When set to ON, the sequencer timing (the downbeat) is reset the moment a new note is played. If PHASE RESET is OFF (default), then the timing of the sequencer is set by the arpeggiator or in response to a MIDI Start message, but the downbeat is not reset when a new note is played.

NOTE: When PHASE RESET is OFF and you play a new note before the downbeat, the arp or sequence will not start until the next beat.
Hope this helps.
--
Moose

Johnnyaardvark

Post by Johnnyaardvark » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:49 pm

Thanks. That has helped. Had seen the setting in the manual but then confused it with a program specific setting.

Using the setting on I am more consistently on beat than with it off. Playing a chord/note a fraction of a step prior to the start step is quite a challenge. Would be great to have steps exactly to time though.

Thanks again.

Steve

Johnnyaardvark

Post by Johnnyaardvark » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi.

In the end I was not entirely happy with this resolution but have found something that works even better for me.... well, with at least one of my work flows.

Thought I would post it here in case it helps others even more.

In my midi chain I have my triton extreme as my master clock. Then my analog 4 and then the sub37. Sending transport setting from my analog 4 has sorted my syncing issues and the sub37 is now precisely on beat. Happy as Larry!

S