Inverted KB Pitch on Sub37

Everything Sub.
tomoog

Inverted KB Pitch on Sub37

Post by tomoog » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:42 am

Saw the earlier post on Reversing KB Track.

Is there a way to have the osc pitch get lower as the keyboard is played higher?
(Joe Zawinul used an inverted keyboard on a ARP2600 synth - the voltage was reversed.)

So
play C hear C
play D hear B flat
play E hear A flat etc

Thanks

bichuelo

Re: Inverted KB Pitch on Sub37

Post by bichuelo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:05 pm

It might be possible, yes. I haven't tried this with the Sub 37 yet, but it can be done on the Voyager:
Attachments
Zawinul style!
Zawinul style!
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:25 pm

tomoog wrote:Saw the earlier post on Reversing KB Track. Is there a way to have the osc pitch get lower as the keyboard is played higher?
(Joe Zawinul used an inverted keyboard on a ARP2600 synth - the voltage was reversed.)
Hi tomoog,

Did you try my Sub 37 solution for this exact request?

I posted it yesterday afternoon:

If Glynbo's question was actually about 100% reversing the Key Tracking of Pitch (like Joe Zawinul of Weather Report used to do to make his synth solos "fresh"), then there's only one way I've found to do this:

You have to turn OSC 1 Off at the MIXER and only have OSC 2 sounding. Then, disconnect OSC 2 from the keyboard by lighting the DUO MODE button and unlighting both of the LO and HI LEDs of KB CTRL.

With OSC 2 completely disconnected from the keyboard, you'll find that you can now use both of the MODs with SOURCE = KB TRACK, and both PITCH AMT knobs fully counterclockwise to achieve an "in-tune" upside down scale.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mikeh11

Post by mikeh11 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:55 pm

If you want to turn your keyboard around, you can use MIDI tuning to do that.

The attached zip file has several tuning "scales" that flip the keyboard at different reference points, and standard scales to bring it back to "normal".
FullKeys.zip
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
MBP 2012 | OS X 10.11.6 | Sub 37 #6768

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:35 pm

mikeh11 wrote:If you want to turn your keyboard around, you can use MIDI tuning to do that.
You gotta' love a synth with multiple ways of getting what you want :D
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _