*Help* Sub 37 sequencer issues

Everything Sub.
mucktone

*Help* Sub 37 sequencer issues

Post by mucktone » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:31 pm

I'm having a small problem using the sequencer on my Sub 37. I have it set up to follow the clock in Ableton. It follows just fine, except I cannot get the sequence to start on the 1st note. It starts on like the 13th note. I've tried holding the 1st button while pressing shift(?) trying to reset the first note but it didn't seem to change anything. Can anyone help me with this?
Last edited by mucktone on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OS X 10.5 Yosemite, 64 bit
Ableton Live 9
Sub 37 Tribute
Midas Venice F32

mucktone

Re: Sub 37 sequencer + Ableton

Post by mucktone » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:19 pm

Ok so I figured this out. In Ableton, I mover the cursor back about a measure before the music starts it starts on the 1st note. But when it gets to the songs beginning its at the same part of the sequence. It's almost as if the sequence was recorded and moved back a measure. I'm not sure if this is something that needs adjusting in Ableton or my moog. I'm using a USB cable connected to my MacBook. Anyone?
Ableton Live 9
Sub 37 Tribute
Midas Venice F32

Chimponaut

Re: *Help* Sub 37 sequencer issues

Post by Chimponaut » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:38 pm

I had issues like that as well until I tried a different midi interface. I was using the Edirol UM-3EX via (USB) The Sub37 would only catch the beat about half the time. I decided to try the midi interface on my RME Raydat Audio Card (PCIe) and it locked up instantly, perfectly. Might be worth a try if you have another midi interface. I no longer trust USB for tight midi timing.
Last edited by Chimponaut on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo

mucktone

Post by mucktone » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:44 pm

it actually catches the beat and plays in time... It just doesn't start where the music starts. I guess I could just move all the tracks and butt then up against the first car but it seems like I should just be able to start the sequence wherever I want to in regards to actual song.
Ableton Live 9
Sub 37 Tribute
Midas Venice F32

tomoog

Post by tomoog » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:39 am

mucktone,

It could be MIDI congestion.
Try paring back the MIDI data to the bare minimum to see if it gets better.
Try using the 5 pin MIDI port if possible.
Use only 1 MIDI track, no cascaded MIDI thru etc

Typically my song notes begin at Bar 2.
Bar 1 is where the initial MIDI stuff is sent to the Sub37 - SysEx, ProgChange, ExtSync, Volume, Pan, Sustain, Pitchbend etc.
This can easily take a dozen bytes, which, if sent all at once can cause mysterious dropouts and timing.
So Bar 1 has a few clock ticks delay between each value to give the Sub37 breathing space rather than sending all values "all-at-once".

The Preset itself can be setup to minimize MIDI traffic. eg save the Preset with volume and ExtSync already set. hth

mucktone

Post by mucktone » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Ok thanks Tomoog. I'll give that a try
Ableton Live 9
Sub 37 Tribute
Midas Venice F32