1/3 and 2/3 filter keyboard tracking

Everything Sub.
HansH

1/3 and 2/3 filter keyboard tracking

Post by HansH » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:37 pm

HI,

Does someone has a simple technique to get 1/3 or 2/3 keyboard tracking right on the sub37? I want to explore some minimoog like techniques on the sub37, but getting the filter tracking right is a bit tricky.

Cheers,
HansH

stiiiiiiive

Re: 1/3 and 2/3 filter keyboard tracking

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:01 pm

[EDIT: as pointed out later on by oli@sub37 (thanks :) ) this is not correct. Please refer to the next couple posts.]

Basically, when kb tracking equals 1, that means that the filter cutoff frequency follows exactly the keyboard voltage, hence allowing to play resonance as note. Start by setting max resonance and set the cutoff frequency at a decent, audible value when playing the leftmost C key for example.
At KB tracking = 1, you will need to play the next C key to have the resonance peak increased by one octave.
At KB tracking = 2/3, you will need to play the second next C key to have the resonance peak increased by one octave. To find that setting, play alternatively the first and the third C keys adjusting the KB tracking untill the two resulting resonance peaks are separated by one octave.
To find the setting KB tracking = 1/3, repeat with the first and fourth C key.

Hope it helps :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

HansH

Post by HansH » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Thanks for your response. The challenge is though that changing the KB tracking also changes the cut off frequency. I am unfortunately not blessed with perfect pitch hearing so I need to add an oscillator for pitch reference and correct both cut off frequency and KB track to find the right range.
Fortunately the Moog engineers did a terrific job with the KB track settings: the ratio is nearly perfect linear in the whole knob range: I measured the self oscillating frequency of the filter for the lowest an the highest C on the keyboard for the whole range of the KB track (using the Sub37 Mac editor and the tuner in Ableton to measure the frequencies). For those interested the measurements and the regression fit
sub37_filterrtracking.png
As the fit is near perfect it is easy to calculate the 1/3 and 2/3 tracking :

1/3 : 2731
2/3: 5461

Cheers,

Hansh

oli@sub37

Post by oli@sub37 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:34 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:At KB tracking = 2/3, you will need to play the second next C key to have the resonance peak increased by one octave. To find that setting, play alternatively the first and the third C keys adjusting the KB tracking untill the two resulting resonance peaks are separated by one octave.
Great idea do get a certain desired ratio for the KB tracking! But wouldn't what you describe result in a 1/2 KB tracking?
My understanding of 2/3 KB tracking is that you need to increase the key by 3 octaves to get 2 octaves of pitch increase. So you would have to play the fourth C to get the double octave from the first key. I think.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
Voyager RME #1273 | Sub 37 #8490 with SSQ37 Update | Virus TI2 | Elektron MD MNM A4 | Roland SE-02 | Behringer Model D
Mac OS X 10.14 | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | MainStage 3 | RME UFX+

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:22 pm

I am wrong indeed, but I think you are too :)
oli@sub37 wrote:My understanding of 2/3 KB tracking is that you need to increase the key by 3 octaves to get 2 octaves of pitch increase.
Right.
oli@sub37 wrote:So you would have to play the fourth C to get the double octave from the first key.
Actually not: the double octave is just one octave higher. We are talking about the quadruple octave here.

To double check that: as a 1V increase in pitch leads to a 0.66V increase in filter cutoff, you'll need to increase 3V in pitch to fall on 2V increase in filter frequency. That is: a note 3 octaves higher leads to a filter frequency 2 octaves higher.
So it's more like: you'll have to play the fourth C to get a frequency 2 octaves higher than the first key, i.e. not the double but the quadruple octave.

Consequenly, for 1/3 tracking, playing the fourth C will lead to a frequency 1 octave higher, which is the double octave now. Makes sense since the 1/3 tracking is half as much as the 2/3 tracking.

BTW this is simpler to do with the 3 octave keyrange Sub37 than with a Sub Phatty hehe.

Thanks for pointing out that error. I mentioned that in my former post 8)

HansH

Post by HansH » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:51 am

The 1/3 tracking is quite cool, it can add some delightful dirt to the sound: try this

- Init sound
- Oscillator 1 Saw 50% volume
- Keyboard tracking 1/3
- Raise resonance just before self resonance
- Play notes and turn cut off

to make it more nasty : try 6dB filter , or turn up feedback
Cheers,
HansH

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:36 am

(1 pole filter is not Model D compliant ;) )

oli@sub37

Post by oli@sub37 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:32 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:
So it's more like: you'll have to play the fourth C to get a frequency 2 octaves higher than the first key [...]
Which is exactly what I said:
oli@sub37 wrote:So you would have to play the fourth C to get the double octave from the first key.
IOW: With 2/3 KB tracking you have to play the fourth C (triple (!) octave) to get the sound of the third C (double octave). Or somesuch... :D

Voyager RME #1273 | Sub 37 #8490 with SSQ37 Update | Virus TI2 | Elektron MD MNM A4 | Roland SE-02 | Behringer Model D

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:18 pm

Problem is either I'm not an english native speaker (totally possible cause) or we are using words "double octave" in the wrong way. Confusing.

I understood your "double octave from the first key" as "twice the frequency of the note played when depressing the first key". That's where I must have been wrong.

I'm trying to make myself clear now :) :
When you depress the first C key, you get a pitch frequency 'P' and a filter cutoff frequency 'fc'.
2/3 tracking means that:
When depressing the 4th C key, you get a C three octaves above (i.e. resulting in a pitch equal to 8P) and the resulting filter cutoff frequency will be 2 octaves above fc (that is, equals to 4fc).

..Ok we seem to agree indeed :lol:

oli@sub37

Post by oli@sub37 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:11 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Problem is either I'm not an english native speaker (totally possible cause) [...]
Me neither...
stiiiiiiive wrote:..Ok we seem to agree indeed :lol:
Great! :D

BTW, thanks again for pointing out that it's possible to use keys/octaves to get ratios for the tracking. Altough the concept is obvious, it didn't occur to me when I was trying to acheive an exact 2/3 KB tracking on my Sub37 ... :lol: