Please make the sub37 beat freq go higher!! :/

Everything Sub.
Raseru

Please make the sub37 beat freq go higher!! :/

Post by Raseru » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:22 am

I bought the synth for making gnarly reese type basslines as I thought that must have been the idea when it comes to this function, but it doesnt go high enough to keep those in check

Any way to make it go higher with a firmware update? as an option to set a higher range if you want? its a bit gimped in its current state :cry:

seanpark

Re: Please make the sub37 beat freq go higher!! :/

Post by seanpark » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:09 pm

I think the beat freq knob is just a fine offset for OSC2. The frequency knob to it's left is much more coarse.

Try barely nudging the frequency knob to get more intense beats. It doesn't take much! You can use to beat freq knob to fine tune it.

ebowen4221

Post by ebowen4221 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:28 pm

seanpark wrote:I think the beat freq knob is just a fine offset for OSC2. The frequency knob to it's left is much more coarse.
The beat detunes the OSC 2 at varying rates to keep the same beat when traveling up or down the keyboard. You can hear this by setting the beat frequency up, and turning off OSC 1 and hearing the difference in pitches, then hit the octave button a couple times. The further up you go, the closer the frequencies are to sounding in tune together, which is what's creating a slow beating that covers the range of the keyboard. If you were to set the beats higher at this point, you need to use the coarse tuning or the FREQUENCY knob. This however will change the number of beats in a second (the frequency) and double it every octave you go up, and half it every octave you go down.

seanpark

Post by seanpark » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:44 am

Cool post ebowen! thx

Raseru

Post by Raseru » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:22 am

Yeah, and if it went up a lot higher it would be amazing for reese style bass.

How do we convince moog to enable it to go a lot higher? it would be amazing.

or, how does one actually make this work in real world - i.e. can I do it with clever tuning method, or recreate on a modular?? the actual method is beyond my brain capacity at the moment...

its really such a clever trick that I would love to implement more

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:53 pm

I don't have two Mother-32 units but I do have one and a Voyager with a VX-351 and a CP-251.

Will try this next week when I get back to them, hopefully I am able to patch it!
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:20 am

Raseru wrote:How do we convince Moog to enable Beat Freq to go a lot higher?
Hi Raseru,

It's not a matter of convincing as much as it's a problem of maintaining compatibility with all of the thousands of factory and user presets already made with the original range of Beat Freq.

When initially choosing the range for any parameter, there's always a balance of what you can do with extreme ranges vs. how hard it is to get the knob to go to a specific amount.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _