Pelican or ATA case for Sub 37

Everything Sub.
valverdeleov

Pelican or ATA case for Sub 37

Post by valverdeleov » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi there,

I need to take some flights and carry my Sub 37, a bass, bag and baggage on August 19th. I'm looking for the lightest and most resistant way to travel with my Moog. Have any of you use Pelican cases for this or at least a Sub Phatty or LP? I noticed there's a a model, 1670, that should fit and has some modular foam that can be shaped to the instrument needs, but there will be an area (above keys and front of panel that will not have material to hold it. Any stories using these? I've heard pelican cases are even more resistant than ATA cases.

Best regards,

Leo.

EricK

Re: Pelican or ATA case for Sub 37

Post by EricK » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:07 am

I have a Pelican case for my photography gear and I'm having doubts that the latches are going to hold up over the long run. The Anvil case for my Minimoog, on the other hand is tough as nails. I haven't flown with either.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

NickGrooves

Post by NickGrooves » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:49 pm

If you are on a budget, you can purchase plywood and ATA latch hardware and build your own case ... I've never done this but I've considered it many times.

I have only owned a few ATA cases and never flown with any of them. I have traveled quite extensively, but I always rent the heavy gear from the destination city. The only thing I take with me on the plane (carry-on) are my guitar or mandolin and a few choice FX pedals. I've flown with my trombone. I never fly with keys. Either too heavy or too delicate IMO.
Voyager select
Mother-32
Hammond XK-3c
Emu Proteus 2000
ProTools

ksujata

Post by ksujata » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:21 pm

I'm having the same thoughts. I was looking at whether you could get away with storing it in the overhead compartments if you stored it in the gig bag as well. Length wise it is too long according to the specs I've found (in Canada), but everything else works out. I think maybe calling the airline ahead to see if you could get it put there might be an option, especially if the flight is not entirely booked.

The other thing I was considering was just to use a software solution, but that may not be viable in all circumstances.

NickGrooves

Post by NickGrooves » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:37 am

hmm, you sure everything else checks out? what about the weight?

NARAS lobbied to get a bill passed years ago with the FAA mandating instruments be allowed as carry-on baggage, so the dimensions should not be an issue (it's certainly shorter than my guitar). But the weight could prevent from going in the overhead bin on smaller aircraft.
Voyager select
Mother-32
Hammond XK-3c
Emu Proteus 2000
ProTools