Noob needs help with routing midi...please?

Everything Sub.
misfitit

Noob needs help with routing midi...please?

Post by misfitit » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:24 am

I'm new to midi gear. I would like to run a (from what I am told) simple setup and I am proving myself to be an idiot. Can you Help?

I have the beatstep (non pro), an Electribe ES-1 MK2 and a Sub Phatty.

I also have a midi thru box.

I'm trying to either run the ES-1 as master or the Beatstep as master. I use the Beatstep as a hidden functions controller for the sub phatty as well as running sequences to the SubP.

Ideally I would like to retain the functions from Beatstep to SubP while either the ES-1 or the Beastep being clock.

anyone have ideas?

edit.......

I removed the thru box from the equation and routed beatstep to midi in on ES-1 then ES-1 thru to SubP. everything works except the hidden control functions of the beatstep to SubP...

I'm imagining that the SubP needs to receive the control commands separately from the sequence commands, through the Elecribe, and that the electribe is interfering somehow.

there's got to be a genius that can educate me on this. I appreciate any help I can get

Tsaddeous

Re: Noob needs help with routing midi...please?

Post by Tsaddeous » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi,

What about the midi filter on your ES-1 ?

Everything is open ?

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:19 pm

misfitit wrote:I'm new to midi gear. I would like to run a (from what I am told) simple setup and I am proving myself to be an idiot. Can you Help?

I have the beatstep (non pro), an Electribe ES-1 MK2 and a Sub Phatty.

I also have a midi thru box.

I'm trying to either run the ES-1 as master or the Beatstep as master. I use the Beatstep as a hidden functions controller for the sub phatty as well as running sequences to the SubP.

Ideally I would like to retain the functions from Beatstep to SubP while either the ES-1 or the Beastep being clock.

anyone have ideas?

edit.......

I removed the thru box from the equation and routed beatstep to midi in on ES-1 then ES-1 thru to SubP. everything works except the hidden control functions of the beatstep to SubP...

I'm imagining that the SubP needs to receive the control commands separately from the sequence commands, through the Elecribe, and that the electribe is interfering somehow.

there's got to be a genius that can educate me on this. I appreciate any help I can get
hmmm. you are on the right track. what all does the beatstep have as far as midi in and out and thru? does it have all 3? or just a midi in and a midi out? i myself, if i wanted to jam on all 3 of these pieces of gear, would put the electribe first, and have it control the tempo of the beatstep, and then have the beatstep passing that info along and controlling the tempo of the sub phatty. what do you all do with the electribe? if you do not use it to control anything externally, then this just might work. so yeah. make sure you are on the midi out of the electribe, and not the thru. if you are using the electribe to control other stuff, this might not all work, but if not, then you should be able to just set the tempo internally on the beatstep the same as the electribe. hmmm. which midi thru box do you have? im not that familiar with them, but if it has one in, and like a out and a thru, you can make this work.

so yeah. bleep gets confusing. we can get this though!

misfitit

Post by misfitit » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:06 am

thanks for the reply.

my solution was.......

Beatstep only has midi out >>> to midi in of Electribe >>>> Electribe thru to SubP.

Beatstep Contol to midi 1 & sequence to midi 2

Electribe defaults on 11 is ok. set electribe clock to external

This way Beatstep runs clock, controls start and stop of everything and keeps it all synced. Also lets me tweak everything independently while keeping sync.

Don't need the midi thru box until I get another synth

happy now

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:16 pm

glad you had it working. it is really nice how you can switch all the different parts in the electribe to whatever midi you like. love my electribe.