Sub 37 Editor V2 wishlist

Everything Sub.
tomoog

Sub 37 Editor V2 wishlist

Post by tomoog » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:01 am

The Sub 37 Editor V1 is mightily impressive. Here's a little wishlist for V2.

EDITOR
>> Randomness - a bit less random please for more musicality, like a Dial or by locking modules such as FILTER, GLIDE etc

>> better visual feedback when your DAW changes the knobs. The little white tip is easy to miss. Maybe the knob could glow or pulse - like the Moog logo does when MIDI is transmitted

>> have GLOBAL LIGHT SHOW assignable to a MIDI CC - to confound my enemies

SEQUENCER
** Randomness - again, a bit less random, eg limit SEQUENCER to +/- 12 semitones, no REST/TIE etc

** Sequencer STEP SETTINGS - have ROTATE PATTERN assignable to a MIDI CC (already can do this on the hardware BANK < > )

** record from MIDI input or DAW

** load a MIDI file somehow - 1st 64 steps would be fine

** save sequencer as a MIDI file

SETUP
++ when loading the Sub 37 Editor, automate turning off GLOBAL SETTINGS - Keys, Wheels and Panel, to prevent MIDI issues. At power up, auto-turn on Keys, Wheels and Panel. I always miss this part.

MAPPING
## Save/load MIDI CC MAPPINGs - XML format please.

LIBRARIAN
^^ A definable default location for loading/saving all .prefs, .seq, EXPORT and GET, CC MAPPINGS, MIDI/GLOBAL
Personally I would be putting all these into the DAW's project folder. New project = new folder

^^ Somehow retain the Bank/Program Change value in the Preset Library .SYX file so it can be loaded back into the same hardware memory location. Currently I name files this way - "B16P16pc127 Drum" just to be safe.

^^ In HARDWARE PRESETS have a Bank/Program Change column display. So Bank 1, PC 127 would line up with B16-P16.

^^ Save/load MIDI/GLOBAL settings separately

^^ speed up EXPORT/IMPORT BANK - a 200KB file takes 3 minutes?

Also can Sub 37 have it's own Forum?

Thanks!!

mikeh11

Re: Sub 37 Editor V2 wishlist

Post by mikeh11 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:03 pm

^^ speed up EXPORT/IMPORT BANK - a 200KB file takes 3 minutes?
In the beta forum back in February I asked this:
Just curious: why don't the "big" dumps, like All Presets and the Bulk Dump, go faster over USB?
And Amos replied:
Post by Amos » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:27 am

There is a fundamental problem with USB MIDI, which is that there is no standard way to specify the data rate.

Many software applications will limit the USB MIDI data rate to the same slow speed as DIN MIDI, or will mysteriously fail if you try to send data any faster than this.

Therefore, the USB MIDI is throttled down to the same slow speed as DIN MIDI, to avoid the (all-too-frequent) scenarios where you'd get error or failure at faster speeds.

I tried numerous times to speed it up, and had failures (especially on Windows) every time. If you Google around you'll find many references to this same problem.

The good news is, the MIDI Manufacturer's Association is working on a new standard for high-speed MIDI, so that senders and receivers can agree on a known faster rate... it will take some time to get all OSes and drivers on board, but it will be a massive improvement.

For now though, there's only one MIDI speed that will reliably work, and it's a rather slow 31250 bits per second. We're sending a few % slower than this, again to avoid errors... but I'm always looking for improvements and will continue to work on this.
I hope this "bleed through" from the beta forum is OK...
MBP 2012 | OS X 10.11.6 | Sub 37 #6768

tomoog

Re: Sub 37 Editor V2 wishlist

Post by tomoog » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:39 am

Hi mikeh11
Thanks for the update on slow USB MIDI.
Often a project only uses a dozen custom sounds.
So another one for the V2 wishlist... EXPORT/IMPORT a bank of only 16 presets = 12 seconds