Sub Phatty MIDI PC for Preset Changes?

Everything Sub.
overpwredbyfunk

Sub Phatty MIDI PC for Preset Changes?

Post by overpwredbyfunk » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:20 am

I'm mostly a guitar player, but in about 1/3 of our songs I'm pulling double duty and switching between guitar and synth on a Sub Phatty.

I recently entered the world of MIDI and got myself an RJM PBC (http://www.rjmmusic.com/products/mastermind-pbc/) to tame my pedal situation and I was wondering if I could also use it to change presets on the Sub Phatty using PC commands?

For instance on the pedalboard as I switch between a verse and a chorus part on guitar, it also sends the command to the Sub Phatty to change from preset 2-1 to 2-2.

Looked here in the forum before asking, and looked in the user manual, but it was all CC commands.

Would be awesome if I could do this just by adding a MIDI cable to my setup!

breun

Re: Sub Phatty MIDI PC for Preset Changes?

Post by breun » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Yes, you can send MIDI program changes to the Sub Phatty and it will change the preset.

overpwredbyfunk

Post by overpwredbyfunk » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:42 pm

What are the PC command numbers for changing presets? I just did a little experiment where I programmed my controller to send PC 1-16 messages to the Moog, but it didn't change patches. Pretty sure I have everything on the same channel and all that.

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:30 pm

its in the manual i am pretty sure. i had to figure out how to turn it off at one time in my life.

tomoog

Post by tomoog » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:03 am

The Mastermind PBC looks like an impressive piece of kit, with many options to pick. So it's best to first start off simple to get things going.
I would use the 5-pin DIN MIDI connector between the PBC and the Sub Phatty to keep it isolated from other USB devices, to begin with anyway.

On your Mastermind PBC keep it simple:
In MIDI & Preset Setup - set MIDI channel 1, only one device, port MIDI Out - Page 24 of the PBC Manual-3.0.pdf
Assign Program Changes and banks to a few presets [Edit PC Message] - Page 26
For sending Program Changes check out Pages 24, 25, 49, 55

on the Sub Phatty, the default settings should allow incoming program changes on MIDI Ch 1
You should see the Sub Phatty MIDI light blink red when data is being received.

Regarding how Sub Phatty deals with receiving Program Change (PC) - there's nothing in the manual - SUB_PHATTY_MANUAL_6_13.pdf
Sub Phatty has 16 presets physically arranged into 4 banks of 4.
I'm not sure if that is implemented in MIDI as Bank 0, PC 1-16 or Bank 0, PC 1-4, Bank 1, PC 1-4, Bank 2, PC 1-4, Bank 3, PC 1-4.
Either way, CC0 is the default Bank Select so the 1st four PCs should be doable without mucking around.