Sub 37 Oscillator 1 / Sub 1 dead?

Everything Sub.
Zardonic

Sub 37 Oscillator 1 / Sub 1 dead?

Post by Zardonic » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:49 pm

Hey!

I tried doing a search here and on Google but couldn't find this, so I'm asking if anyone knows.

I bought a Sub 37 about a month ago, and everything was working fine until yesterday. Oscillator 1 and Sub 1 are literally dead. Only Oscillator 2, Noise and External Input work in the mixer.

I called Moog a couple times and they suggested a Firmware reinstall, which I did, however the problem continued. Then Taylor from tech support suggested resetting MIDI and Global settings, and for some weird reason, Osc 1 and Sub 1 were back!

And then they're gone again :(

I don't know what it is I'm doing that could cause this. I thought it was an output thing but I tried even connecting my headphones directly to both the output and the headphone output, same problem. I'm using this in combination with a Boomstar SE80 through the Input, and that's it. Not doing anything the synthesizer is not meant to do. Fiddling with the envelopes, filters, hard sync, Multidrive, LFO, sequencer, nothing too deep in the menu.

I even tried going back to Firmware v1.1 to see if it would help, nothing happened. Reset settings again, nothing happened. Disconnected everything minus the power cord, turned off for all night, turned it on again today. Same issue.

Man I can't believe this bleep, I am so in love with this instrument :(

Anyone can help?

mikeh11

Re: Sub 37 Oscillator 1 / Sub 1 dead?

Post by mikeh11 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:46 pm

When the oscillators appear dead, what happens when you "init preset"? That is, press and hold the "Panel" button, to reset the settings to default values, and see if Osc 1 comes back from the dead.
MBP 2012 | OS X 10.11.6 | Sub 37 #6768

Zardonic

Post by Zardonic » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:01 am

mikeh11 wrote:When the oscillators appear dead, what happens when you "init preset"? That is, press and hold the "Panel" button, to reset the settings to default values, and see if Osc 1 comes back from the dead.
Hey mikeh11! Thanks for the feedback.

As suggested by Taylor, I sent the Sub 37 back to Moog since it was still under warranty. Literally everything you could think of was tried. Pot calibration, Installing different firmwares, resetting MIDI settings and what have you. The issue became even weirder as OSC 1 / SUB 1 would randomly come back, then die out again.

Cheers to the Moog team for their assistance and patience. You don't know how much your sound has enriched my production experience. Hopefully I'll get it back soon. The studio feels empty without it :(

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:39 pm

Zardonic wrote:
mikeh11 wrote:When the oscillators appear dead, what happens when you "init preset"? That is, press and hold the "Panel" button, to reset the settings to default values, and see if Osc 1 comes back from the dead.
Hey mikeh11! Thanks for the feedback.

As suggested by Taylor, I sent the Sub 37 back to Moog since it was still under warranty. Literally everything you could think of was tried. Pot calibration, Installing different firmwares, resetting MIDI settings and what have you. The issue became even weirder as OSC 1 / SUB 1 would randomly come back, then die out again.

Cheers to the Moog team for their assistance and patience. You don't know how much your sound has enriched my production experience. Hopefully I'll get it back soon. The studio feels empty without it :(
So what was Moog's explanation for this behaviour? It would be useful to know in case this problem crops up again.