Newbie question

Everything Sub.
dobrojoe

Newbie question

Post by dobrojoe » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:54 pm

Just got a Sub 37 today. I played around with it for a while and got no sound whatsoever and was just about to give up and send it back when I discovered that the Mute switch was on by default! Anyway, my question is about the envelope generators. I want a very slow (5 seconds or so) cyclic modulation of the filter. I have tried using the Loop button but it doesn't seem to do what I expect. I don't want to have to press a key, just have a slow rising and falling waveform. What settings do I need for this?

ChiLam

Re: Newbie question

Post by ChiLam » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:37 pm

If you want to modulate the filter-cut off like this then you can use the sine wave in the PGM modulation sources. Select PGM/F.EG in the MOD 1 panel. Then you will need to use the menu to set the PGM source to the sine wave. Then back in the MOD1 panel adjust the FILTER AMT knob to taste and set the LFO 1 RATE to the speed you want. Make sure HI RANGE is not engaged or it will only give you the highest speeds for the LFO. It may be that the modulation does not have effect until the MOD wheel is up - you can change this though so that it is not dependent on the MOD wheel - I think one of my MOD buses always defaults to being controlled by the MOD wheel. :wink:

dobrojoe

Post by dobrojoe » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:41 pm

No, the slowest LFO rate is much too fast for what I want. I'm talking about a rate of 5 to 10 seconds peak to peak.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:23 am

dobrojoe wrote:No, the slowest LFO rate is much too fast for what I want. I'm talking about a rate of 5 to 10 seconds peak to peak.
To get the slowest LFO modulation sync it to the ARPs clock and turn the clock rate to minimum as is explained in this earlier thread:

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... fo#p140151

dobrojoe

Post by dobrojoe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:45 am

Thank you ChiLam. As I said, I have just got this beast and I am still finding my way around with a white stick. ;?) I'll try what you suggest when I know what it mans.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:54 am

dobrojoe wrote:Thank you ChiLam. As I said, I have just got this beast and I am still finding my way around with a white stick. ;?) I'll try what you suggest when I know what it mans.
No worries, there is a lot of functionality on the 37. I have had it for a while now and still haven't scratched the surface of what it can do.

All you need to do to get the LFO going really slow is press the sync button in the MOD section under the LFO rate knob. This makes the LFO sync to the speed of the ARP/Sequencer - even if no ARP or Sequence is being played. Then you can just adjust the Arpeggiator RATE knob and the LFO will adjust its speed to match. So, follow the instructions from the first post and engage the LFO sync and turn down the ARP RATE. Then adjust Filter AMT in the MOD section to taste. Good luck :wink: