Sub37: Crackling/fading Headphone output

Everything Sub.
HansH

Sub37: Crackling/fading Headphone output

Post by HansH » Fri May 27, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi,
Nearly 5 weeks ago I had to to send my sub37 for repair. Issue: random crackling and fading of the headphone output to complete silence. Occurs fully at random: days it works ok, and some days it happens over and over again. Main output signal is clear and stable. Machine has been tested at the center, and unfortunately the issue did not occur there. The instrument will be returned as it was, and I am a bit concerned that the actual problem still lives in this box. If there is someone who had a similar issue: can you please inform me so that I can contact the repair shop with these suggestions.

Thanks!
Hans
Cheers,
HansH

Stevie Ray

Re: Sub37: Crackling/fading Headphone output

Post by Stevie Ray » Sat May 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi HansH

Forgive me for asking the obvious question, but did you try a different set of headphones?

Assuming you did and had the same problem, it sounds like a dirty/intermittent contact in the jack socket. Use a Q-tip with some isopropyl alcohol (or a proprietary contact cleaner like Electrolube Contact Cleaner) on it and insert it into the socket and work it around. Use the same cleaner on your phone's jack plug using a paper towel. Blow the socket though with an air duster, and repeat this procedure if necessary.

If you still get the problem with two different sets of phones then it's most likely that the jack socket is faulty or not soldered correctly. If you sent it back to Moog for service, I'm sure they would have checked for this.

What headphones are you using? Do they come with a 1/4-inch jack or are they 3.5mm and you are using an adaptor?

Also, are you using professional 'phones like the Beyer DT-100 (etc.) that have a plug-in connection to the headset? If so, clean and check the connections at the headset end.

robbd

Post by robbd » Sun May 29, 2016 7:36 am

It's a known issue (a bad batch of circuit boards??) A couple of threads here dealing with it here.

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... ck#p148099

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... =headphone

ask your service centre to get in touch with Moog as this seems to be a known problem, a PCB swap may be necessary

Numans2

Post by Numans2 » Mon May 30, 2016 10:37 am

yes, had this problem with new sub 37, the engineer in the uk had heard of the problem, even if intermitent, they replaced the circuit board without issue

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:43 am

Same problem for my Sub37 (received in August 2014): since 3 months I had random moments when the headphones output would have a low level and sometimes very violent crackling noises.
More recently it sometimes even stopped working for several minutes.
Even if I mostly use the line output, I took advantage of the summer break to bring it back for repair.
I will let you know when I get some feedback...

JazzMasta

Post by JazzMasta » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:49 am

vwizz wrote:Same problem for my Sub37 (received in August 2014): since 3 months I had random moments when the headphones output would have a low level and sometimes very violent crackling noises.
More recently it sometimes even stopped working for several minutes.
Even if I mostly use the line output, I took advantage of the summer break to bring it back for repair.
I will let you know when I get some feedback...
Contact tech support, they'll help you. It most likely a faulty circuit board that needs to be replaced, I had the same problem.
It's pretty easy to replace it yourself once you receive it, so you won't have to send your instrument away.

HansH

Post by HansH » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks for your response. I am right now 4 months without my Sub 37 due to what seems to be a minor issue: I brought my mint 5 month old home use only Sub37 personally to the local official Moog dealer where I bought this synth. They send it to the official tech support in Belgium for repair. After 2 months I got a message that the issue could not be found and the synth was returned to me by the post service. One of the wood side panels was seriously damaged, probably by rough handling. The dealer confirmed that they returned the synth with this damage. Obviously I returned the synth: The dealer refuses to give me a new replacement because it is an expensive instrument. I know that , because I paid for it ! I am waiting to see in what status I get back my instrument: if indeed the original issue is gone and no further harm is caused by this rough handling. I doubt that Moog gets feedback about this type of horror stories from international: it could hurt the brand reputation without any reason in control of Moog.

Hans

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:55 am

My Sub37, despite its repair in August, now has the headphone output crackling and volume variations again...
Although I had tested it when it was given back to me, I haven't had much time to play since, and most of the time I was using the line output.
But today, after 15 minutes playing with my headphones, it was back again. And as before: it disappears ten minutes and then comes back again...

>> I guess I have to bring it back to the shop again :(((

vwizz

Post by vwizz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:06 am

Just passing by: this time the repair man changed the board and the problem was fixed.
Funny thing though is that he could not reproduce the issue and he called me.
I guess it had to do with temperature conditions, warming up, etc...
But now at least it works fine! :)

Numans2

Post by Numans2 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:41 am

hi, yeah mine was repaired with a replacement board by my uk supplier, been no problems since

AlbertoStevenson

Post by AlbertoStevenson » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:56 am

Hi there! This same issue actually not happens to me, but my friend was facing the same issue. He has consulted technician to repair them, but the output of the headphones still fading/cracking. So he replaced them with Soundmagic headphones to enjoy the best music.

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:07 pm

AlbertoStevenson wrote:Hi there! This same issue actually not happens to me, but my friend was facing the same issue. He has consulted technician to repair them, but the output of the headphones still fading/cracking. So he replaced them with Soundmagic headphones to enjoy the best music.
Oh really? :o

breun

Post by breun » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:24 pm

If replacing the headphones fixed the problem, then there was nothing wrong with the output of the synth, right?

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:49 pm

breun wrote:If replacing the headphones fixed the problem, then there was nothing wrong with the output of the synth, right?
I can vouch that Soundmagic phones are so wonderful they will fix all of your audio problems (real or imagined, medicated or not).

Shitty amp --- Soundmagic Phones :D

Awful sounding synth --- Soundmagic Phones :D

Want to communicate with loved ones who have passed 'beyond the veil' --- Soundmagic Phones :D

I mean, who would use Beyer Dynamics or Sennheiser studio 'phones when you could use Soundmagic earbuds to solve all your acoustic woes? :shock:

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:05 am

Mine has gone the same way now. Tried several headphones including my KRK's. Same issue persists. Got my synth in 2014, is this a warranty repair as it's a known issue or will I have to pay for a new PCB?
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303