Knob removal - any suggestions?

Everything Sub.
stewdio

Knob removal - any suggestions?

Post by stewdio » Wed May 25, 2016 8:13 am

I need to remove the knobs on my 37 to do a field replacement of a PCB but apart from the filter knob they are stuck on the pots like crazy - does anyone know how to best remove them without marking up the panel?

Thanks!
Stew
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~

paramnesia

Re: Knob removal - any suggestions?

Post by paramnesia » Wed May 25, 2016 9:25 am

try using a spoon to carefully pry knobs up & off the pot shafts

the d-shaft knobs will also have a metal spacer inside the knob - sometimes they stay on the pot shaft when knobs are removed, pull them off and place back inside each knob

or buy a knob pry tool from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Dash-Remova ... B0057DHMFG
Sub37TE V1.2 / 4 X CP-251, 3 x MF-104M, MF-102, MF-107, MF-108M, 4 x Mother32, MP-201
My Eurorack https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2268669
My Pedal Board https://www.modulargrid.net/p/racks/view/461843

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Wed May 25, 2016 11:03 am

perfect - thanks!
stewcrookes.com

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Fri May 27, 2016 12:20 pm

put some black electrical tape on the rounded bottom of the spoon first. so it doesnt leave marks on the surface. Dont twist the spoon just push downwards on the handle, i use a thick teaspoon...and roll it like a see-saw....and thus lifting the knob up.

bluesmoose

Post by bluesmoose » Fri May 27, 2016 9:43 pm

If you pry it off, you can damage the faceplate

Wrap a shoelace (or string, or similar) underneath the knob.
Wrap one and a half times.
Then pull on the shoelace.
Maybe use your thumb to keep the knob from flying off and hitting you in the eye or something.

Guitar players do this to avoid damaging the finish.

Here is a video of a guy using a rag. Same principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuGc83-F_Wk

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Sat May 28, 2016 2:08 pm

I seem to be blessed with particularly strong fingers. I generally grip the skirt of the knob with my thumb and 2nd, 3rd, 4th fingers and exert firm inward pressure while pulling up - sometimes it takes a couple of goes, and you have to ease it off bit by bit. It can be quite painful on the finger tips, but no push-on knob has defeated this technique yet!

And, this is why I hate 'push-on' knobs. They may 'push-on' easily at the factory but they cling like limpets when you want to take them off.

Phenolic knobs with brass-inserts with grub screws for me, every time.

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:49 am

moog support told me they use a piece of ribbon wrapped around the shaft then pull up gently...

Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Sihaz wrote:moog support told me they use a piece of ribbon wrapped around the shaft then pull up gently...
Tried that technique and it usually fails because you're pulling the knob up from one side only and can easily damage the pot.

You need a 'fork' type tool to exert force equally on two sides of the knob. Usually there isn't enough clearance to use such a tool. I just use my finger tips (can be painful and often needs several attempts).

Push-on knobs are the knobs of the devil. Give me knobs with brass inserts and grub screws any day.

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Stevie Ray wrote:
Sihaz wrote:moog support told me they use a piece of ribbon wrapped around the shaft then pull up gently...
Tried that technique and it usually fails because you're pulling the knob up from one side only and can easily damage the pot.
I think the idea is to bring the two ends of the ribbon out on opposite sides of the knob so you're pulling up on two sides.
Stevie Ray wrote:Push-on knobs are the knobs of the devil. Give me knobs with brass inserts and grub screws any day.
While I do agree with this sentiment, there's not always clearance to get a screwdriver in to tighten the screw. Also, it's more work to put them on accurately aligned with the panel legends, a consideration when dealing with e.g. 40 knobs on the Sub37.

--
Moose

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:36 pm

I ended up using a pointy metal spoon to pry the knob up against a smooth plastic spoon the metal spoon and the panel and they all came off very easily with not a single mark
stewcrookes.com