velocity sensitivity sub 37

Everything Sub.
franklinstower

velocity sensitivity sub 37

Post by franklinstower » Sun May 15, 2016 1:14 pm

Has the velicity sensitivity been improved in the new sub 37 firmware?

sub guy

Re: velocity sensitivity sub 37

Post by sub guy » Sun May 15, 2016 7:43 pm

Ive got the same queston. I wont need the editor but if the velocity sensetivity is included in this firmware update I want it. Hopefuly someone will answer.

seanpark

Post by seanpark » Mon May 16, 2016 10:55 am

I don't know if it's been changed but have you adjusted the sensitivity to your taste?

LuLoop

Post by LuLoop » Mon May 16, 2016 11:56 am

Hi,

velocity sensitivity....Just push the Knob shift button in the envelope generators section and then move the sustain knob.

regards Luloop
Sorry for my English..It is not my Mother language
Machines: Sub 37.
Systems: Win7 64 and Mac Pro 10.9.4 Logic pro X

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Mon May 16, 2016 4:18 pm

I do know how to do that but there were a lot of complaints on this board about the settings. Even at the most sensitive setting it is WAY to easy to hit tha maximum volume when hitting any key. This was discussed on another thread and Amos said more range woudl be added in a future firmware. I am just trying to find out if it was added on this firmware or not.

robbd

Post by robbd » Tue May 17, 2016 6:55 am

Not according to the change log, or my attempts to get a usable (for me) setting

"MOOG SUB 37 - CHANGE LOG
NEW IN 1.2.0
• Full compatibility with Sub 37 Editor software
• Compatibility with Sub 37 USB MIDI driver for Windows
• MOD WHEEL added to the SEQ MOD DESTINATIONS list
• Sequencer MIDI output: tied notes of the same pitch are now output as one longer MIDI note instead of multiple
overlapping notes
• INIT PRESET settings changed: lower Osc 1 Level, Osc 2 waveform matches Osc 1, LFO Sync turned off
• Fixed LFO 2 Rate MIDI CC response
• Sequence is now saved in Panel Mode
Note: Is saved when you exit Panel Mode. Exit Panel Mode before turning off power to the Sub 37 if you want to save
changes to the Panel Mode sequence
• Fixed Sustain Pedal function (MIDI CC 64 / CV Mapping: SUST PED)"

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Tue May 17, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks for posting all of that. I wonder when they are going to be coming out with the adjustment. It is really needed.

chris_moog

Post by chris_moog » Tue May 17, 2016 12:46 pm

Just tested the new firmware-update and I do think there is definitely room for improvement conc. velocity.

How did it the competitor (DSI)? They had the same problem (if not worse) and added with their recent firmware-update 4 (!) additional velocity-curves to choose from... (for a total of 7 different velocity-curves)

bernard

Post by bernard » Wed May 18, 2016 6:30 am

sub guy wrote:... Even at the most sensitive setting it is WAY to easy to hit tha maximum volume when hitting any key.
I think you mean the opposite. At the most sensitive setting, it is logical to reach the max very quickly. I think you would like to see the sensitivity reduced.
But in fact, this is a personal matter of taste.
With my recent masterkeyboard I had 32 velocity curves and I always used the linear curve. Everything else feels unnatural.
Regarding the moog, for my taste it is exactly right.
Anyway, it should not be a great effort to add some velocity curves.

cheers,
Bernard

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Wed May 18, 2016 10:38 am

bernard wrote:
sub guy wrote:... Even at the most sensitive setting it is WAY to easy to hit tha maximum volume when hitting any key.
I think you mean the opposite. At the most sensitive setting, it is logical to reach the max very quickly. I think you would like to see the sensitivity reduced.
But in fact, this is a personal matter of taste.
With my recent masterkeyboard I had 32 velocity curves and I always used the linear curve. Everything else feels unnatural.
Regarding the moog, for my taste it is exactly right.
Anyway, it should not be a great effort to add some velocity curves.

cheers,
Bernard

Yea thats what I meant. There was a lot of discusson about it on this forum a while back and the most people are unhapy with the settings that are presently available.

robbd

Post by robbd » Sun May 22, 2016 12:00 pm

I actually have problems on the other end, soft notes are nearly impossible to trigger. Loud is no problem

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sun May 22, 2016 9:36 pm

robbd wrote:I actually have problems on the other end, soft notes are nearly impossible to trigger. Loud is no problem

Thats what I meant actually I just didnt say it right. It is very diffucult to get soft notes on all but the slowest songs. It was discussed on here and Amos has said that a change will be implimented. I currently have my mod wheel routed to the filter and am using it as a sort of a volume control while I play.

funkyhammond

Post by funkyhammond » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:08 pm

Sorry to bump up this old thread but I'm a new Sub 37 owner and this is the first thing I noticed when I tried to use velocity. It is hard to control the dynamics because the velocity maxes out very easily. The response is compressed so that all dynamic control is between very soft to medium playing. The response needs to be expanded to include a wider range of physical velocity so that medium-hard to hard playing actually make a difference. In contrast, the aftertouch has quite a usable response to a wide range of physical pressure. Has anyone heard whether there is any plan to try to address this? As it is, I'm unfortunately probably going to avoid velocity or maybe resort to an external controller if I really want to use it for certain patches.

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:50 pm

funkyhammond wrote:Sorry to bump up this old thread but I'm a new Sub 37 owner and this is the first thing I noticed when I tried to use velocity. It is hard to control the dynamics because the velocity maxes out very easily. The response is compressed so that all dynamic control is between very soft to medium playing. The response needs to be expanded to include a wider range of physical velocity so that medium-hard to hard playing actually make a difference. In contrast, the aftertouch has quite a usable response to a wide range of physical pressure. Has anyone heard whether there is any plan to try to address this? As it is, I'm unfortunately probably going to avoid velocity or maybe resort to an external controller if I really want to use it for certain patches.

I agree and there was talk from Moog about doing it and then I heard nothing about it. It is essential that this gets done for the Sub 37 an otherwise just incredible synth.

Chimponaut

Post by Chimponaut » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:21 pm

I only notice this on the black keys. They are definitely more quick to reach maximum velocity. There was talk about the springs used in the keys. Something about different springs for the black keys, I don't remember exactly...Do a search for "springs."

When it bothers me on a certain part, I just use another controller to play the part. I have a Triton Le set up as a alternative controller for the extra octaves and a better velocity response. Just have to walk over and play it.
HW: Sub 37 <> Model D (original) <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 Module
<> Prophet Rev2 8V <> Prologue 16 <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Triton Le <> Audient ASP-880
<> RME Raydat

SW: Nuendo