is the sub 37 right for me?

Everything Sub.
Farmer103

is the sub 37 right for me?

Post by Farmer103 » Sun May 01, 2016 11:01 am

So i am a devo obsesso and play guitar but i am beginning to think that it's time to move on to an instrument
of more possibilites. I am thinking of buying a synthesizer and am hoping to get a sound close to the synths on
Devos hardcore album songs like mechanical man, space girl blues, soo bawlz, golden energy something kind of raw and fat. I have tried the sub 37 and was pretty enticed but i don't know if the sound will be too clean?
maybe it would be better to get a vintage moog but i'm not too sure i can deal with the vintage prices. Anyway let me know what you think i'd really appreciate any advise!

Sidchip

Re: is the sub 37 right for me?

Post by Sidchip » Sun May 08, 2016 12:14 am

As a fellow Devo Devotee you can dirty up the Sub pretty easy.. While it doesn't have the ring modulation required in something like mechanical man, it does have some interesting possibilities. Rent one for a month and see if you can get what you need out of it. Plus, it loves going into effects, what it doesn't do out of the box, your guitar / bass effects can make up for.

seanpark

Post by seanpark » Sun May 08, 2016 10:28 am

Have you played other synths?

I went with the Sub37 after comparing most of the under $2000 stuff available at the time. Now there are several other options. Check out DSI stuff, KARP Odyssey, and others. Any decent music store will let you spend hours trying stuff out, bring a pair of your own headphones.

Ultimately the Sub37's sound, interface, and full-size keybed won me over but here are so many inexpensive analog synths to be had for a few hundred bucks. You could snag a MS-20, minibrute, or something else for your first synth.

But it's tough to go wrong with a Sub37.

JavaLaurence

Post by JavaLaurence » Fri May 13, 2016 12:14 pm

But if you're a normal person, with limited funds, I'd say go for something old, second-hand first. There are some amazing synths out there that can be had on the 2nd hand market. I recently bought a Yamaha AN1X for 1/5th the price of a Sub 37. *BOTH* are fantastic.