Sub Phatty broken key [SOLVED]

Everything Sub.
Space Lee

Sub Phatty broken key [SOLVED]

Post by Space Lee » Sun May 01, 2016 10:51 am

Hi, something sad happened to the low G key on my keyboard, while i was having a great time playing, it just came up half an inch above the rest of the keys and when i press it it feels like there's no 'cushion' anymore to bounce back off.
Anyone with the same experience? I would rather not open up the Sub Phatty myself as i don't know what parts will come flying out when i do.
What to do? As i live in the Netherlands there's no certified Moog service center, the nearest one is in Belgium. The warranty period has already passed also.
Thanks in advance. Any good advice will be appreciated!

- One Sad Lee
Last edited by Space Lee on Thu May 05, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sub 37 Bob Moog Tribute Edition | Sub Phatty | Win10 pro 64bit | MOTU 828mk3 fw

Wesley

Re: Sub Phatty broken key

Post by Wesley » Sun May 01, 2016 2:09 pm

There are some threads on this forum and others that will have more details than I, but..

The keyboard itself is very easy to remove, only a few screws on the bottom of the unit. You can pull the keyboard out and compare your faulty key with the normal ones. You may have had a spring pop out or a pad move on you.

Replacing keys is quite easy, if you have to do that. Again, there are a few videos out there that can show you how.

Space Lee

Post by Space Lee » Tue May 03, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks for your tips Wesley! Maybe my searching skills aren't what they used to be, but i can't find the things you mentioned... :shock:
Which screws are the screws that hold the keyboard on the Sub Phatty in place btw? There are four indented screws, are they the right ones?

Wesley

Post by Wesley » Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 am

It may have been Youtube where i saw the info, but I can't search YT because my browser is too old.

It should be the four screws you mentioned. Note that the cable(s) connecting the keyboard will restrict how far out it will go.

Space Lee

Re: Sub Phatty (not so) broken key

Post by Space Lee » Thu May 05, 2016 10:26 am

Ok! Just found the courage to operate on my Sub Phatty. With success! The patient has fully recovered. It was actually quite simple to lift the keyboard out just enough to put the little rubber bugger that jumped out of my G key back where it belongs. I did have to look for it for a while, because it was hiding from me by sticking to the back wall of the keyboard compartment!

Since i asked for advice here, i feel that i should share my findings here as well. Use them at your own risk!

If you ever need to operate on the keyboard of your beloved beast, you only need to remove the 6 screws right below the keyboard on the bottom side of your Sub Phatty. Now gently pull out the keyboard a bit, and note the two flatcables connected to it. Take care not to pull too hard, as you could damage the cables and/or connectors on either side of the cables, which of course could be far worse than the problem you are trying to solve. I don't know if these connectors can be separated from the keyboard, but it didn't look like they could.

Cheers, and let's hope it will never be necessary for anyone to have to open up their Moog!