Sub Phatty <-> Ableton - issues

Everything Sub.
broxgaard

Sub Phatty <-> Ableton - issues

Post by broxgaard » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:27 am

Hi all,

I've read, searched and tried all possibilities, I think, but I simply can't get it to work.
When playing midi clip notes in Ableton, it doesn't seem to send it to the Sub Phatty for playing, nothing happens.
I can record the midi notes from the Sub Phatty into Ableton, but not play them the other way around.
I'm using the Sub Phatty Editor VI

What am I doing wrong.

My setup:
MacBook Pro Retina (Yosemite)
Focusrite 4Pre soundcard/midi
Sub Phatty
(and additionally a Push 1)

Focusrite is connected to the MBP with Thunderbolt
Focusrite Midi In and Out are connected to the Sub Phatty
and additionally the Sub Phatty is connected to the MBP via USB

PS: Strangely enough I seem to be able to make it work if I use an External Instrument in Ableton, I just thought it should be possible to use the Sub Phatty plugin?

and yes, I'm new to the hardware game, so bear with my missing knowledge... :)
Attachments
External Instrument prefs
External Instrument prefs
Screenshot 2016-04-22 17.26.00.png (17.54 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Prefs
Prefs

lowbis

Re: Sub Phatty <-> Ableton - issues

Post by lowbis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:20 pm

Same here... I'm not new to the hardware game... I noticed that when you pull up the VST from the menu in Ableton, it shows up as an audio VST and not a MIDI VST... When I saw that, I gave up assuming that they didn't give us a MIDI VST option... I'm hoping that either we are wrong, or somebody can enlighten us. It would be nice to be able to program MIDI in the program instead of just sequencing outside of Live and having to record it...

lowbis

Post by lowbis » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:21 pm

ps.. I'm using a sub 37 and the new editor, but same problem.

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:37 pm

I'm not quite sure the Moog VST Plug-In works the way you're trying to make it work. It's not an Access TI VST where it uses the hardware to process but the audio comes out of your DAW. The Moog synth is not an audio interface.

The Moog VST controls the patch, but does not return the audio. The audio is only delivered by the synth itself. You can route the output of your Moog into an Ableton Audio Track.
Live Setup:
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.11, MOTU MicroBook II, Push 2, SoftStep 2, NI Maschine 2, Ableton Live Suite 9.6
Korg Kronos 88, Moog Sub 37, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland GAIA, Korg minilogue

lokid

Post by lokid » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 pm

I am having the exact same issue with the plugin. But I am using Bitwig Studio.

For the record we are not trying to get audio in through the VST plugin.

The problem is that the Moog VST is not relaying Midi data from the DAW to the Sub 37. The VST itself and the Sub37 are synced control-wise, i.e. turning a knob on the VST changes the appropriate parameter on the sub37 AND the other way around. BUT if you send Midi data into the VST (say notes from a clip or loop?) it does not send it to the Sub37. I have to manually add an external instrument plugin inside of Bitwig Studio to get the appropriate behavior. This feels like a bug to me.

lowbis

Post by lowbis » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:06 am

I'm just trying to sequence midi notes in ableton and have the midi sent to the sub 37, and then the sub37 would be routed through audio cables to the DAW... No problem on my prophet 12...

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:12 am

Works fine here. These are my settings:

MIDI Settings.
Also, turn on OUTPUT / SYNC if you want to send clock timing for arps & seqs.
As you can see, there's no audio returned from the Sub 37. (output displayed, yet input is the same)
This is my track setting. I can record MIDI from the Sub37 and play it back to the Sub37
Glad to answer any other Ableton Questions.
Live Setup:
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.11, MOTU MicroBook II, Push 2, SoftStep 2, NI Maschine 2, Ableton Live Suite 9.6
Korg Kronos 88, Moog Sub 37, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland GAIA, Korg minilogue

lowbis

Post by lowbis » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:27 am

Thanks, that works for me too, but only if I'm not using the VST editor... I would have to use the standalone editor for that to work... Would be nice to use the vst editor so you can save the patches with the set... Is there something I'm missing?

lokid

Post by lokid » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Hey! So I was able to get this working for me in Bitwig Studio by changing the "ECHO MIDI" setting of the VST to "ON"

Now I dont need to do any additional routing to get midi data from clips to go to the Sub 37. All i do is add the VST to the channel and bingo the midi data from the track is sent to the sub37.
Attachments
sub37_midiSetting.jpg

lowbis

Post by lowbis » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:27 pm

Brilliant! Solved the problem for me. Thanks.