Sub 37 RME Babyface noise even when turned off

Everything Sub.
nglez

Sub 37 RME Babyface noise even when turned off

Post by nglez » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:51 am

Hey guys,

I have problem with my sub 37, I want to record it`s output from the line out to the line in on my rme Babyface. Unfortunately there is a lot of noise. The weird thing is that there is noise even when the sub 37 is turned off. As soon as I disconnect it from the electrical power the noise vanishes. It`s a noise in the 5 K range and depending on how high the gain of my RME is it get's really loud.

I'm not sure where the problem is exactly and I'm a little bit desperate. This is my first piece of analog gear i bought and I'm not sure what it could be. Maybe something with the electrical power itself? Does anyone have any clues?

Thank you for your help!

acdbrn

Re: Sub 37 RME Babyface noise even when turned off

Post by acdbrn » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:25 pm

I got the same Problem with my Sub 37, but with an RME Fireface UC.
I can also hear the "high digital Noise" reacting to my Mouse movement and also opening/closing windows.
If I plug the USB cable in, it gets even worse.

Tested 2 custom built PC's and they both showed the exact same Problem:
  • -Intel 3770k with an Asus p8z77-v Deluxe Mainboard
    -Intel 4770k with an Asus Maximus Vii Ranger Mainboard

Tested different Power Outlets in different Rooms and it didn't change anything.
Bought an "ART DTI Dual Transformer/Isolator" the Noise still persists.

Tested one Notebook and a Mac Pro Desktop and there was no Problem/Noise:
  • -Lenovo Notebook
    -Mac Pro 2013 6 Core

A simple symmetrical cable did solve the Problem I had with the custom built PC's.
Now the Noise goes away If I switch the Sub 37 on, but is still there if the Sub 37 is switched off.

There is no Noise anymore,when the Sub 37 is switched on.

I don't know why this happens and if it's normal or some sort of defect.

nglez

Post by nglez » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:08 am

Interesting... Mine is a custom built PC as well. Sorry if my question is dumb but what is a symmetrical cable? Also is the level of your sub 37 also as low as mine ? Mine requires me to engage the "instrument" button on the rme and sometimes even adding some extra gain. I'm wondering if that is normal.. Shouldn't the synth be loud enough by itself?

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:26 am

I've got my Sub37, RME Babyface and custom built computer, and have no issues. Mine is plugged into a patchbay, but I've never had issues, even before it went into a patchbay and went straight into the Babyface.

Try plugging it into a different outlet perhaps, and by different outlet, not the other plug on the outlet but another outlet altogether.

nglez

Post by nglez » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks for chimimng in! Did you have to turn on the instrument mode (HI Z)on your babyface? My output level of the sub 37 is really super low if I just use the standard line in.

Yes, I already tried several outlets same problem.

acdbrn

Post by acdbrn » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:50 am

Sorry if my question is dumb but what is a symmetrical cable?
With "symmetrical cable" I mean a simple balanced audio cable. (there are Balanced and Unbalanced cables/plugs)
This is the one I use now (this sorta fixed my Problem, maybe it fixes yours too ):
https://www.thomann.de/gb/sommer_cable_ ... 250_sw.htm

I was using a Instrument Cable (Cordial CRI 3 PR) before and this was unbalanced as far as I know. <- Noise Problem
Also is the level of your sub 37 also as low as mine ? Mine requires me to engage the "instrument" button on the rme and sometimes even adding some extra gain. I'm wondering if that is normal.. Shouldn't the synth be loud enough by itself?
No, mine doesn't do that.
I don't use any type of extra gain on the RME Fireface UC, the Sub 37's signal is pretty loud by itself.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:37 pm

nglez wrote:Thanks for chimimng in! Did you have to turn on the instrument mode (HI Z)on your babyface? My output level of the sub 37 is really super low if I just use the standard line in.

No, I've never had to put any of my synths into the Hi Z input on the babyface. That's really meant for something with high impedence, which a synthesizer is not. And instrument mode should only be used when you have something plugged into the input with the guitar picture, next to the headphone input on the side.

Are you using a TS cable or TRS cable coming out of the Sub37 output and into the Babyface input. (you should be inputting into the breakout cable) What levels of gain and volume are on the track in RME's TotalMix? If those are all normal, your connections are good, then try plugging into a different outlet as I suggested previously.

nglez

Post by nglez » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:36 am

Thank you so much for your help!
ImNotDedYet wrote:
nglez wrote:Thanks for chimimng in! Did you have to turn on the instrument mode (HI Z)on your babyface? My output level of the sub 37 is really super low if I just use the standard line in.

No, I've never had to put any of my synths into the Hi Z input on the babyface. That's really meant for something with high impedence, which a synthesizer is not. And instrument mode should only be used when you have something plugged into the input with the guitar picture, next to the headphone input on the side.

Are you using a TS cable or TRS cable coming out of the Sub37 output and into the Babyface input. (you should be inputting into the breakout cable) What levels of gain and volume are on the track in RME's TotalMix? If those are all normal, your connections are good, then try plugging into a different outlet as I suggested previously.
This is how I route my sub37

line out of my sub -> ts Cable -> line in to the instrument input on the side of the baybface (the one with guitar symbol) gain in Total Mix around 12 db with the "instrument" button turned on.

So you are suggesting that I should plug the synth into the breakout cable. What kind of cable do you use? The breakout cable only has 2 xlr inputs, so do you use a TS to XLR Cable?

Trigsu

Post by Trigsu » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:13 pm

nglez wrote:Hey guys,

I have problem with my sub 37, I want to record it`s output from the line out to the line in on my rme Babyface. Unfortunately there is a lot of noise. The weird thing is that there is noise even when the sub 37 is turned off. As soon as I disconnect it from the electrical power the noise vanishes. It`s a noise in the 5 K range and depending on how high the gain of my RME is it get's really loud.

I'm not sure where the problem is exactly and I'm a little bit desperate. This is my first piece of analog gear i bought and I'm not sure what it could be. Maybe something with the electrical power itself? Does anyone have any clues?

Thank you for your help!
Ground loop? My Korg Triton taktile did than until I put ground isolator/hum destroyer between synth and mixer. (example http://www.thomann.de/fi/art_dti.htm)
It basically breaks the physical ground, and prevents any disrupt: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=97963

Slowtrain

Post by Slowtrain » Tue May 31, 2016 10:11 pm

nglez wrote:Thank you so much for your help!
ImNotDedYet wrote:

This is how I route my sub37

line out of my sub -> ts Cable -> line in to the instrument input on the side of the baybface (the one with guitar symbol) gain in Total Mix around 12 db with the "instrument" button turned on.

So you are suggesting that I should plug the synth into the breakout cable. What kind of cable do you use? The breakout cable only has 2 xlr inputs, so do you use a TS to XLR Cable?
The breakout cable on your babyface probably has combo jacks that take either XLR or TRS plugs. Try plugging a TRS or TS cable into the center of the jack that looks like an XLR input.
Moog Sub 37 | Cubase 8.5 | i7 PC | Korg Kronos | Novation Ultranova