Communication with a modular setup

Everything Sub.
Kriko

Communication with a modular setup

Post by Kriko » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:42 pm

Hello !

I got a Moog Sub 37 some months ago and I am now exploring the modular world. As I am quite new, I wonder how my synth could communicate with a modular setup.

First of all, can I send audio from Sub37 to a VCF like the EMW - MG24 for example ??

Moog Sub37's Audio Output -----to-----> MG24's Audio Input

Apart from audio, can I send Midi information so I can take advantage of Sub37's Keyboard, Step Sequencer etc? Do I need a module like Doepfer A-190-3 for this case ?

jsharpphoto

Re: Communication with a modular setup

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:03 pm

Other than using it as a midi controller, the sub37 doesn't control a modular very well. You can go the opposite direction, though. Sending LFOs and other voltage sources to the CV Inputs on the sub37 works just fine, assuming you keep the voltage at +/- 5v. I don't know what modular gear you have, but it sounds like eurorack.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:37 pm

They do make MIDI to C/V converters I have one in my Dotcom set up. It works but it would be nice to have C/V outs like on the Little Phatty.

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:37 am

slabwax wrote:They do make MIDI to C/V converters I have one in my Dotcom set up. It works but it would be nice to have C/V outs like on the Little Phatty.
Right. But as stated by Amos many times, CV outs on a sub37 aren't possible due to the architecture. A little phatty or voyager XL are the better options.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2